Introducing Myself with a question as well :)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Introducing Myself with a question as well :)

Hey Guys, Im new to the Forum although I have been lurking here for ages, and have been Djing for about 3 years now. I have a Regular Gig at a Club in my area doing Friday and Saturday nights every week, been there I think a year and a half now. Im using Virtual Dj (I might be the only one here lol) doing Video Djing with a Pair of Audio Technica Turntables and an ADJ 10MXR Mixer. I'll post Pictures of my set up in the other forum as soon as I get a chance.

Now for my question I wanted you guys' input and feedback on.

There's a Dj I work with at the club who was brought in to open up for me on Saturday night been there for maybe half a year. Now everytime he hears me play something in my sets, he's over my shoulder looking to see what song it is. Now what's starting to irk me is everytime he does this, the very next week he's playing that exact song in he's opening set. One time he even went as far as to mix two very particular tracks at the exact point I usually drop them. So my question is should I be flattered he's copying me, step my game up cause I'm starting to get too predictable, or be like dude, wtf?

And I know I get paid to play other peoples music and everyone has access to whatever music I have but.... #deepbreathe. Just wanted to get some input on the guys that have been djing longer and probably come across such situations.

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, I have the same thing happen to me, but whilst it can be frustrating, I just take it as a compliment as it means people are feeling the tunes I play. I always try and play brand new, upfront music and dig around for my tunes so to know people are appreciating that feels good.
    Equipment: 2x CDJ 2000s // Kontrol Z2 // 2x KRK Rokit 5s // Maschine MkII // Scarlett 2i2

Soundcloud Twitter Facebook

Gotta start naming your tracks as "track 3 - unknown artist"

haHa

^ This.

I used to get the same thing.

What I did was have a secondary set of tunes in case of this.

It might not be the same guy but someone else playing what i wanted to play.

The way I sorted out the cat that was playing 'my sets' before me (and looking at me with a HUGE smile on his face), was to have a set of SERIOUS harder shit to play and just blew him out the water.

The guy playing before you should not be playing the intensity you are.... I found that once he pre-empted me...I had to play harder and did just that.

I then told him straight to source his own tracks and be his OWN DJ, not just copy what others played.

IE, step up your game kid...

In a nice way of course.....
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Sounds annoying. If he's been brought in to warm up he should be trying harder to play stuff that you won't be. In fact, A warm up DJ who's good at his job should be trying to making sure he's leaving the guy coming on after him as much musical space as possible, and not stealing the tunes he heard the headline playing the week before. Sounds like he doesn't quite get what he's supposed to be doing.

I suppose you could have a quiet word with him about what you both should be doing, and I suppose you probably should take it as a compliment (although nicking you tunes and your mixes seems a bit beyond that,) But I think the others are right - up your game. Dig out some real bombs and make them yours.

Story of my life, that's why I always dig and find more shit. Make sarcastic jokes that'll make him feel silly, offer to just give him your usb sticks since he loves your selection so much. Give him a mix cd you made and tell him he'd play better at this rate if he just popped in one of your mixes, etc.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the welcome and love guys , truly appreciate it.

Tech Mentor

Rename your tracks with some comedy names or messages for him as he reads them off your screen
    and tell him what a warm up DJ actually does

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Gotta start naming your tracks as "track 3 - unknown artist"

haHa
    Lol Im actually thinking of putting tape on my Laptop screen to cover the track names and titles when I load them in the decks lol

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Sounds annoying. If he's been brought in to warm up he should be trying harder to play stuff that you won't be. In fact, A warm up DJ who's good at his job should be trying to making sure he's leaving the guy coming on after him as much musical space as possible, and not stealing the tunes he heard the headline playing the week before. Sounds like he doesn't quite get what he's supposed to be doing.

I suppose you could have a quiet word with him about what you both should be doing, and I suppose you probably should take it as a compliment (although nicking you tunes and your mixes seems a bit beyond that,) But I think the others are right - up your game. Dig out some real bombs and make them yours.
    Thumper, I know and have tried to explain to him what hes supposed to do and play because I was a warm up dj for over 2 years before I headlined. Tried to tell him your goal is to play familiar uptempo hits mostly older stuff everyone knows to get people in the mood to dance, but I guess he's playing with that "I want the people to hear how I can Dj mentality". Another problem too is that when I jump on I have to play uptempo immediately to pick up his slack and hype up the crowd because they are mostly still sitting down.. and this is at midnight. Now Im spending 15-20mins building up the atmosphere #smh

Im always digging too though every single day and will still continually step my game up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast