1099 Question for you Gents.
    Tech Convert

Default 1099 Question for you Gents.

So I was talking to the owner of the club I dj every Friday and Saturday and he says he wants me to fill a 1099. Now I have no problems with that except the issue I have is that none of this was discussed when I first started playing there and I obviously dumbly didnt sign a contract with him. Because now with ,me claiming the income that means Im paying taxes on it thus the money I was receiving from the club will be less that what was agreed upon.

So Im planning on a negotiation of wages and a written contract or Im out. But I just wanted to get some input from you guys if anyone has faced a similar situation.

if you report the money you make from djing you can also claim, equipment, music, travel etc... If you already have another job to support you it will work out better in the long run. It's not a reason not to ask to negotiate your rate with the owner though, if you have that meeting you need to be able to say off the top of your head what you have brought to the club and why you deserve to get more. It will help that further if you can come up with some suggestions about how you could raise more money for the place, because really all most club owners care about is return on investment everything else like the music, staff and clientele are of little importance.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Convert

Thanks for the Input synthet1c, Ill definitely keep that in mind. Im meeting up with him tomorrow Hey Im a VDJ Fanboy too lol

that's cause it's the best
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    that's cause it's the best
    VDJ free home edition #1 m9

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dover View Post
    So I was talking to the owner of the club I dj every Friday and Saturday and he says he wants me to fill a 1099. Now I have no problems with that except the issue I have is that none of this was discussed when I first started playing there and I obviously dumbly didnt sign a contract with him. Because now with ,me claiming the income that means Im paying taxes on it thus the money I was receiving from the club will be less that what was agreed upon.

So Im planning on a negotiation of wages and a written contract or Im out. But I just wanted to get some input from you guys if anyone has faced a similar situation.
    I'm assuming you're located in the US? If so, you don't fill you a 1099, your employer does. The club will file submit the 1099 to the IRS and send you a copy which you will file with your taxes. Unless he's asking you to come in to find out how much he's paid you so he can fill out a 1099, you don't need to do anything.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Benjamin Franklin said, "The only things certain in life are death and taxes."