Setting up Ableton for making a radio-show.
    Tech Wizard

Default Setting up Ableton for making a radio-show.

Hey!

I've been trying to begin a radio-show on Ableton by making an hour long mix of music. I just have a few questions about setting up.

1. With the EQs, would I use the EQ Three or Eight? The problem I have with using EQ Three is that when I MIDI map my controller to the EQ Three's knobs, due to them not being at 12 o'clock, it becomes super inconvenient to have to keep the controller's knob's at like 8o'clock.... So, what is the best way to control the EQ?

2. This may be a silly question, but I've seen people use compressors in their mixes, is that recommended and what is the purpose of it?

Thanks in advance for any help! If anyone's got any additional tips, please let me know!

Cheers!

Use EQ3. You can set the EQ3 to max out at 0. It wont go over, no matter how far you turn the knob. Not sure off top of my head how you do this.

You could put a compressor on the master to give it a bit more kick/volume if its quiet.

Tech Mentor

like Mr_Moo said, the eq3 is the one to use. You can set the values to max at zero in the midi mapping area to keep the dials from going over. If you are going to be talking over the mix, I would suggest you place a compressor on the audio channels you are running music on and set them to sidechain with you mic. This will make the mix duck when you talk, creating space for you vocals. I am pretty sure there is a radio preset for this if you don't know much about sidechaining.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Wizard

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by setting the values to max at 0.... Could I get a link to a site that explains or to a video?

Tech Mentor

could not find a video for ableton 9.. but it is the same for 9 as it is for 8.

if you know how to latch a controller pot to ableton just skip to around 2 mins to see how to change the min and max value for the assigned control.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

compressor makes shit llouder, no issue with it but if you squash it too much or layer too many compressors you might get a hissing sound from it.