Cable Packing & Organization

Default Cable Packing & Organization

I currently have a couple of gear bags (one backpack, one roller), and use them on different occasions and so I was basically thinking of how best to organize cables such that it's easy to get them to/from gigs and maintain some amount of order. It would be great to just be able to grab a bag with my cords & backups.

For reference, these are the cords I usually bring with me:

10ft 1/4 - RCA
    2 x 3.5mm M - M
    Audio 2
    2 x 1/4 - RCA
    2 x USB
    2 x ipod
    2 x XLR - XLR
    Various adapters

I've come up with a couple of options but would love to hear what others think as I'm always for whatever works on the cheap.

Option 1: Grid It Organizer

These look great, and a lot of tech bloggers really like them. I use an Ipad in my setup and they make a combination sleeve/organizer that would work pretty well. Grippy.

Downsides: Price, limited space for lots of cables

Option 2: Small Packing Cubes

Loved by folks, mostly for packing clothing. Could be great for the traveling DJ as you can have one of these as a cable bag, and use the others for clothes.

Downsides: Price? (You get 3 in a set), have to buy in sets

What are some other solutions that you guys have come up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser Smith View Post

Option 1: Grid It Organizer

These look great, and a lot of tech bloggers really like them. I use an Ipad in my setup and they make a combination sleeve/organizer that would work pretty well. Grippy.

Downsides: Price, limited space for lots of cables
    I use a Grid It for my cables, works a treat, your right they aint cheap, but if you buy the one of the larger ones they should fit all the cables and it does make your stuff a lot more organised and neat. I work for the distributor over here in Australia so I got loads of the things I've been dolling them out to other DJs around town, people seem to love them.

I have labeled bags.

Tech Guru

I use zippered tool bags. I have two sets of cables, and I keep a full set in each set of bags.

The black holds patch cables to get from the soundcard to the mixer (two 1/4" to xlr male, one "stereo" 1/4" to dual RCA, a 3.5mm female to RCA, and one dual RCA to dual RCA), and a set of "ear buds" as backup headphones.
    The blue holds a laptop power supply, mouse, a small travel laptop stand, and a small flashlight.
    The yellow holds USB cables, a USB hub, and power bricks for stuff that plugs into the laptop.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_117620-1492-...bag&facetInfo=
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

After hearing the tip from Patrick Norton on This Week In Computer Hardware a while back, I've started using clear jiffy/sandwich/ziplock bags (whatever you wanna call them).

No weight penalty, waterproof, prevents different cables getting tangled together, cheap. And you can see what's in each one.

Changed my life. That's not even hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    That's not even hyperbole.
    Mad props for using hyperbole in a posting! I thought about going the Ziploc route, as I currently do have quite a few reusable zip ties. I've used Ziplocs for tons of things (attending Burning Man every year, travel in general) but my issue had been that they were reusable only a finite number of times, and that the zip ties tend to puncture them pretty easily. I'd rather have a few bags possibly that withstand travel well rather than something I continually throw away and replace.

Yeah, so I'm turning into a hippie. Sue me

On the other hand, transparent/waterproof/lightweight are also things to take note of. That being said, soundinmotiondj's link I find to be intriguing, and 3 for $10 is a pretty good deal. I think I might hit the thrift store this weekend and see if I can find something that works there, and if not then maybe pick up a set of those.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser Smith View Post
    Yeah, so I'm turning into a hippie. Sue me
    Nothing wrong with considering the environment in this day and age!

I use the ones Ikea do, they come in packs with 2 sizes in.

They are quite thick, and I find I get plenty of life out if each one, especially if you aren't bothered about replacing them as soon as they get a few little splits. They still work fine for the intended purpose after a good battering.