Your Favorite Digital Audio Recorder?
    Tech Mentor

Default Your Favorite Digital Audio Recorder?

Right now I record my "bedroom" mixes on a computer, but since I don't carry that with me to gigs I have no way of recording those. Would like to have something that fits in a jacket pocket I can use to record sets anywhere... does anyone have any experience with these, advice or recommendations on what audio recorder to buy?

I don't care too much about whether a device has good microphones--this is something I want to just plug directly into a mixer.
    I play house music!
    http://tortango.com/

Tech Guru

Tascam DR-40 works REALLY well for me. This recorder is total overkill for how I use it.

It takes xlr or 1/4" balanced inputs. That may be an issue if you are using "random" mixers...but it works well with my setup.

When recording with the mics, the "safety track" has saved my a$$ more than once.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NACC6M
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Nice thread I will be following this one as I am interested in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Tascam DR-40 works REALLY well for me. This recorder is total overkill for how I use it.

It takes xlr or 1/4" balanced inputs. That may be an issue if you are using "random" mixers...but it works well with my setup.

When recording with the mics, the "safety track" has saved my a$$ more than once.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NACC6M
    How much space to you have to record on this unit? Are you able to increase the space limit?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by atontheproton View Post
    How much space to you have to record on this unit? Are you able to increase the space limit?
    It comes with a 2GB SD card, and you can swap that out. The recorder will save as WAV or mp3 @ different bitrates. I record as mp3@320 (it's about 2.5MB per minute).

I don't recall if there is any "internal memory" or not on this unit...but I have not used it (obviously).
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

I got the zoom h4n but I use that to record sound when I film stuff on my dslr camera (which has wack sound)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I LOVE my ZOOM H6. Here's an example of it's use for my DJ podcast. Records both DJ's at once. You're hearing its audio when the music starts.

Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys! I should have mentioned, I'm looking in a sub-$200 price range, so the TASCAM DR-40 looks like my best bet. And the safety track sounds great, having screwed up more than one mix before by having levels too hot.
    I play house music!
    http://tortango.com/