Budget studio monitors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Budget studio monitors

Im in the market for a pair of studio monitors for my small studio setup as my current monitors are awful for production (boosted highs and lows). The room I work in isnt too big so im thinking some small 5" will do. I have been doing a little research and have come across the KRK Rokit 5's (seems to be everyones favorite), the M-Audio BX5 D2, the JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor, and the Presonus Eris E5. All have really good reviews and are around the same price. My budget is around $300

Which of these would you choose? and are there any other monitors in my budget I should look into?

Thanks!
    Last edited by lemeiux1; 01-30-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Mix Setup: Traktor Kontrol S4 // Midi Fighter Spectra // Retina Mabook pro 13" // Traktor Pro 2.6 // Crane Stand Plus // Beats By Dre Studio + Solo HD
    Production Setup: Ableton Live 9 // JBL LSR 305 Monitors // Korg Microkey 25 // Maschine Mikro // Massive // Kontact // FM8 // Zebra 2 // Sylenth1
    Nostalgia Setup: 2 Stanton STR8-80s // Vestax PMC-06pro (Signed by Qbert himself)

Tech Wizard

Ok so after much research I've narrowed it to either the KRK Rokit 5s 3rd Gen, or the JBL LSR305s. Can anyone recommend 1 over the other? and if you have either, how well do your mixes translate on other systems?

thanks
    Mix Setup: Traktor Kontrol S4 // Midi Fighter Spectra // Retina Mabook pro 13" // Traktor Pro 2.6 // Crane Stand Plus // Beats By Dre Studio + Solo HD
    Production Setup: Ableton Live 9 // JBL LSR 305 Monitors // Korg Microkey 25 // Maschine Mikro // Massive // Kontact // FM8 // Zebra 2 // Sylenth1
    Nostalgia Setup: 2 Stanton STR8-80s // Vestax PMC-06pro (Signed by Qbert himself)

Go with thejblss. Krks are crap
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Yamaha HS5

I really like KRK's, good for the money imo

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

I've just seen way too many pairs if krk's wear out, have drivers die, or have shirting connection way before their time. I love jbl. if you want great sound go with Yamaha or Mackie . both companies make 5" drivers in the 150 dollar range.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Go for the jbl's.... Tht sound way better then the krk's... And personally i think the new pioneer serie, which offcourse ain't real studio, are very nice for the money. I have their 'old'ones and they really do a fine job(8 inch) . And also the m3-8 from m-audio
    are underrated... But also a mix between studio and dj-monitor.
    But the krk's also ain't studio-monitors and sound muffled.... never liked them...

Greetz Richard

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Yamaha HS5
    Do you need a sub with these? Thinking this will be the way to go once I've saved up.

Tech Guru

KRK's are the least flat monitors, lack in Hi's and accentuate the low's, basically they lie.

I'd personally go for the HS5's or the new Adam F5's, which I don't think have been mentioned, but would be over budget.

One thing to watch on the HS5's, is that they are rear ported, so having them against the wall will impact the bass, giving a false image of the low end.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    KRK's are the least flat monitors, lack in Hi's and accentuate the low's, basically they lie.

I'd personally go for the HS5's or the new Adam F5's, which I don't think have been mentioned, but would be over budget.

One thing to watch on the HS5's, is that they are rear ported, so having them against the wall will impact the bass, giving a false image of the low end.
    How much space would you need to give them to eliminate this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast