Getting Started as a DJ! Equipment Help!

Default Getting Started as a DJ! Equipment Help!

Hey there,

So after hours upon hours of research and envisioning, I've decided that I want to start DJing (Electro House), and end up DJing in bars and clubs. And I've read to do this you pretty much need to buy and practice on industry standard equipment. I've read that most clubs have atleast 2 CDJs (mostly 900s/2000s) and a DJM mixer (750/800/900 etc), which is around $4200. Now obviously this has caused a shitload of thinking about due to the high price (as I'm not exactly the richest person in the world), but theoretically I've decided if I'm gonna do this, I've gotta buy big to get big (i.e. have the skills to go into a club and use the equipment). I first thought about buying a controller (like the DDJ-SX) but I've heard it's 'toyish', 'unprofessional' and not suitable for those that want to DJ profesionally in a club or whatever. Anyway I dont have the money to go out and buy 2 CDJ2000s and DJM 2000NXS, so I was thinking about 2 CDJ900NXS's and a DJM-750 (Around $3500). What are your thoughts on that? Any advice or other things that you recomend me doing? I haven't touched any form of DJ equipment ever so I could really use your advice

Edit: I've read that the DJM-750 isnt MIDI compatible? What does that exactly mean? :/
    Sorry for my newbiness! Then again we all start somewhere.

Any response is well appreciated.
    Cheers, James

Hi Man,

Buying pioneer CDJ's from day one is a big step. There is cheaper stuff out there that does exactly the same .

I'd advise you to buy a mixer and some dj software with a simple controller to see If you like the whole djing thing. The first 2 years you'll probably be playing for your friends at party's etc, so taking cdj's with you every time is not something you want to do.

I started off with something that fit in my bag and could directly connect to an amplifier.

Tech Wizard

I've done all my learning on a DDJ-SX and I don't think it's held me back any. Now I want to buy some CDJ's, but I'm glad I found out that I really enjoyed DJing first.

I bought a pair of cdj 900nxs. They are awesome

I love the new waveform display, it's more clear to see the structure of the song.

I wish they had advanced HID already -_- can't connect them with Traktor and I rekordbox ain't working like it should.

Try before you buy. controllers might seem to be toyish at first, but that's what got me to learn because i could not buy expensive gears.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Tech Mentor

There are also things between CDJ 900s and cheap controllers. What about CDJs from other companies? XDJ-R1? (I got it, love it and it even has Hot Cues, which the 900s dont't have, but I do love) Also have you tried the DDJ-SX? The worst part of it - for me - is that you have to use it with a computer. Apart from that I don't see any reason, why I would go with CDJs over the DDJ-SX.

Another option would be to just get some used gear and resell it in a few weeks/month, when you are sure you'd like to upgrade. That way you can try the whole thing of DJing without loosing too much (apart from the loss of value on that used gear).

I wouldn't recommend diving straight into a full club class cdj/djm set up right away. What if you don't actually enjoy it once you start or what if you just don't get it and become disillusioned? The loss on the equipment if you came to sell would not be nice even when taking into account the lesser depreciation on higher spec equipment.

I would say if you really must go down the cdj/mixer route go for the CDJ350s and a DJM350 as this will give you the ability to learn on Traktor, Rekordbox, USB Drives and Audio CDs, without a massive initial outlay

Personally I still think a controller is a better option although if learning to play audio cds is imperative an XDJ R1 would nicely fit that bill

Tech Mentor

There are a few controllers out there that don't actually need a computer, stanton do one http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-con...ms/scs4dj.html

$4k is a lot of money for something you might or might not like to do, If it were me, I'd go the controller router, I know a few dj's that use controllers on radio stations, all very competent, all mix out in big clubs. getting regular gigs, not being held back at all :-) Once you learn how to use a controller, you know 90% of what there is to know about CDJs, the transition wouldn't be difficult at all.

Tech Convert

I think it's a bit smarter to read more about mide etc., before spending a lot of money, and don't look to much at the gear in clubs.
    There ar a lot of other dj's and it take time to learn the skills.
    I agree with what other people say, that if you've decided to go for it, that you beter can buy good gear at once, then upgrading after 6 months....

Good luck,
    richard