VCI-100 and VCM-100 together
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default VCI-100 and VCM-100 together

Hello there fellow Midi Warriors. I have a question for those who are in the know. Thanks to the latest upgrade of Traktor (1.2) it looks like I can use my VCI-100 SE and my VCM-100 together. I love the rotary faders and pitch sliders on the VCM-100 but it has very limited buttons for effects and other stuff. The beauty with the new update is that I will be able to control 4 decks each with their on individual fader by using both controllers. I will have to do some modifications to Ean's TSI for the VCI-100 but it will be awesome.

Anyway, my question is how do I disable the sound card in the VCM-100? I own a Audio DJ-8 from NI which is so much better than the one that Vestax offers. I would like for Traktor to only see the MIDI portion of the VCM-100 not the soundcard. I'm on Mac so I didn't have to install any drivers for the Maya44 sound card (the one build in the VCM-100). Because the sound card and the midi port on the VCM-100 share the same USB I sometimes get the message (when the Audio DJ 8 is connected) that the USB doesn't have enough power to run both sound cards. I don't care for the Maya44 so is there a way for Traktor to ignore it or not even see it at startup? thanks for any replies.

Tech Mentor

Default *shrugs shoulders*

Honestly don't know if this will work, but if you can give the following a burl you MIGHT have some success.

And I'm coming from the understanding that you've got the A8DJ, VCM and VCI all plugged into your Mac (laptop?) on three USB ports (no hub).

- Start Traktor without any of the devices plugged in
    - Plug in the A8DJ (on the same port that you're currently using) and through preferences select this for audio out
    - Use your mouse to load and play a track to ensure that it's working
    - Attach the VCI (on the same port that you're currently using) and turn on
    - Check that Traktor has registered it and that you've got control
    - Attach the VCM (on the same port that you're currently using) and turn on
    - Check that Traktor has registered it and that you've got control

Did you get the power exception again? The reason I've stated "on the same port you're currently using" is to try and replicate a particular issue. If memory serves me correct, some machines have issues powering devices when they run off the same (internal) USB root hub.

Now, try running the VCM on the USB port on the opposite side of laptop(?), and run the VCI on the same side as the A8DJ. Did you get the power exception again?

If not, wicked. If so, run the VCI off the power adaptor. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

like Joh said, try hooking up the A8 first, then the vci-100 and vcm-100. Goto aggregate audio on osx and see if you can disable the soundcard for the vcm-100. Also you might have to change the midi channel on the vcm to ch2 via a midi patch program, I use a free prog called MidiPatchBay. Good luck brother and keep us posted if you have any future problems and also if you get ur rig running.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Convert

Thank you both for your answers. The least I can say is that both of you seem to be very well informed on these matters.... the reason why I come here and the reason why I spread the DJ Techtool gospel to my fellows DJs.

I will give that a try. Just to give you guys additional info: I am on a 17" MacbookPro so I do have 3 USB ports (no external hub). The Audio DJ8 is connected to the USB closer to the power supply as I believe is not recommended to put soundcards on the USB that is next to the power button to the right of the keyboard. The VCM-100 is plugged on the second USB next to the power supply and finally the VCI-100 is on the USB to the right of the power button.

I do have a work around for my issue. I went to RadioShack and purchased a 9v power supply for the VCM-100 (since Vestax doesn't supply it) and that works fine because the VCM doesn't use the USB power then. The only reason I want to do what I'm asking for is so I don't have to carry an additional cable and look for an additional outlet at the club.

My experience in the past about plugging in the VCI or VCM after Traktor has booted is that it doesn't see my midi devices unless I quit and restart it with them already plugged in. Is there a trick to force Traktor to look at the midi ports again with out restarting the application?

@JexC: the problem with these Vestax midi controllers (pre Traktor 1.2) was that they all use the same midi channels. I've had no success at changing the channels even with software that allows you to do that so I either used the VCM or VCI. Now with 1.2 it works great. Traktor sees both controllers as generic midi devices. The only problem is that they both show up with the same name in the drop down to assign the device so I have a 50% chance of being wrong when I select it . Vestax has a stand for the VCM that allows you to put your laptop on top and the VCM in front of it. I've used the stand to put the VCI instead and it looks like it was meant to go there. Check out the attached picture.

Thanks again to both of you and I will let you guys know what happens. Cheers!

Tech Mentor

Default We got your back...and your money...and the ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by ricktowers View Post
    I've had no success at changing the channels even with software that allows you to do that so I either used the VCM or VCI ... Traktor sees both controllers as generic midi devices. The only problem is that they both show up with the same name in the drop down to assign the device so I have a 50% chance of being wrong when I select it
    - Turn on VCM
    - Hold the topmost black button (column of four; lefthand side of unit) while turning on the VCI
    -VCM now operates one MIDI Channel 1; VCI operates on MIDI Channel 2

Uncertain why you're selecting a device, with respect to mapping. Now that you've got the controllers operating on different channels (you did do as above, huh?)...

- select 'Generic MIDI devices' in Controller Page
    - add new command
    - select 'Learn'
    - use the physical control that you wish to assign
    - if necessary, specify target and other parameters

Tech Convert

Default Traktor sees both devices as the same name

Hi guys, on a question related to this topic, does anyone know how to change the name of the "Vestax PC-Controller" so I can differentiate them in Traktor?

The issue is this. Both the VCI-100 and the VCM-100 are seen as "Vestax PC-Controller". You can change the name under the Device Set Up when you create a new General Midi (see image 1) as a logical device but under the In-port and Out-port for selecting a physical device they both come up as "Vestax PC-Controller" (see image 2). AT least they are always at the same position, VCM on top and VCI on the bottom. I'n using Mac OS (10.6) so I tried to use Audio Midi SetUp to change the name (see image 3). It looks like there is a field that allows you to do that but Traktor doesn't see that change. Other software that accept Midi do.

I don't know if it's because of the name but Traktor doesn't seem to remember which one is which when ever I start it up. I have to assign them manually on every session to their respected logical device.

Both devices use channel 1 to send their midi signal but there is no conflict when I assign them to their logical device. The only conflict is when I start Traktor up and it assigns both physical devices to the same logical device because they have the same name (I think). I'm pretty sure this problem would go away if I can give unique names to both controllers.

I also tried changing the channel of the VCM to 2 using MidiPatchBay as JesC suggested but I couldn't get it to work. It might be me but there was no manual with the software or any instructions on how to use it. I email the author but I haven't heard back. Johbremat suggested a way to change the VCI to channel 2 but I don't want to do that because Ean's very complex TSI for the VCI is all set to channel 1. I would have to change each command to channel 2 manually and that would take me forever cause there is a lot.

Thank you again DJTT community.

Tech Convert

OK. I figured out how to change the midi channel on the VCM-100. It was in the manual in very small print. When power on you hold the loop button on pgm 1 and the VCM will start up on channel 2. That would have been good to know with the 1.1.2 of Traktor so I could use both the VCI and VCM with it. Again not really an issue with Traktor 1.2 with the way it sees generic midi now even if they have the same channel.

Changing the channel also didn't solve my problem. Traktor still gets confuse at startup because both devices have the same name. It assigns both logical devices to the first "Vestax PC-Controller" which in this case is the VCM-100 and ignores the VCI-100 until I manually assign it.

Tech Guru

I was wondering how do you find that set up? VCI 100 with VCM 100, I was thinking of buying a vcm 100 for more hands on four deck control with my VCI 100 SE.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Abyrne7 View Post
    I was wondering how do you find that set up? VCI 100 with VCM 100, I was thinking of buying a vcm 100 for more hands on four deck control with my VCI 100 SE.
    I love it and as you can see from the pics above with the laptop stand that is designed for the VCM-100 it makes it look that they were meant to go together. I'm building a tsi for it that has similar functions as Ean's latest tsi for the VCI-100 SE.

It is great to be able to control 4 decks with their own individual faders by using both controllers together. I also love rotary mixers. My favorite mixer is the Rane MP2016a. I find the rotary faders on the VCM are really smooth and feel solid. I mainly play soulful and deep house so I don't cut or scratch. It's all about the long smooth harmonic mixing and that is where rotaries really shine. I also really like the pitch faders on the VCM. Much longer than the VCI and a much closer feel to a Technic 1200 faders. The whole unit is build like a tank and is heavy. Certainly doesn't feel like a toy.

The bad part about the VCM is the soundcard. It's the Maya card and it sounds terrible IMO. I use the NI Audio DJ 8 and it's so much louder and cleaner (especially in a good sound system in a club) than the one that comes with the VCM. Which leads to the other bad part, the price. It is basically the same price as VCI-100. Vestax should remove the soundcard and sell for half the price - then it would be a winner.

Tech Guru

Yah I know what you mean. Its pretty much exactly what im looking for but I will be paying for the soundcard which I dont need. I already have a echo audiofire2 soundcard.

If I could find a similar small controller build like a tank like the vcm then I would buy one. But I cant really find what I'm looking for!!
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast