Graduating from Controllers to Mixer/Decks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Graduating from Controllers to Mixer/Decks

Hey DJTT

After having my s4 crap out on me too often during live sets, I think I've decided to graduate to an actual mixer vs a controller.

I'd love a 4 channel mixer. I think the Pioneer DJMs look good but I'm not sure which one is best for me... and not sure I really need the latest and greatest mixer.

I was thinking of just getting a DJM-750 and two Traktor X1-MK2's... any advice would be helpful. Also, do I need a separate sound card? I'd be running Traktor of my MBP.... not sure how the configuration/setup would go.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

The 750 has a built in soundcard, so you would be good to go, and setup is simple enough through Traktor's control panel (routing everything "externally"). While Pioneer is certainly the standard, I wouldn't rule out the Xone DB2. It's amazing, and also has a built in audio interface. It retails for more money, but there are usually quite a few used ones hanging around. Just a thought, because I can't live without mine. Its awesome.

Pretty sure if you want to use DVS, you'd need a DJM 850 or above as they're certified for Traktor use, therefore the 750 would need an external sound card for DVS use with Traktor.

And as mentioned, Allen & Heath would be another brand to look at as would the higher end, 4 channel Denon's. (1600 or 1700 I believe?)

Thing is when you play out you will need an external soundcard. If you just play two decks then an audio 2 will suffice... One stereo channel for each deck. 3 decks an Audio 6, 4 decks then you will want an audio 8 or audio 10 to plug into the club mixer.

For home use a DJM750 will work well with no soundcard and two X1s.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Thing is when you play out you will need an external soundcard. If you just play two decks then an audio 2 will suffice... One stereo channel for each deck. 3 decks an Audio 6, 4 decks then you will want an audio 8 or audio 10 to plug into the club mixer.

For home use a DJM750 will work well with no soundcard and two X1s.

the club I'm at has XLR input receivers... why would I need a sound card if the DJM has XLR outputs?
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Pretty sure if you want to use DVS, you'd need a DJM 850 or above as they're certified for Traktor use, therefore the 750 would need an external sound card for DVS use with Traktor.

And as mentioned, Allen & Heath would be another brand to look at as would the higher end, 4 channel Denon's. (1600 or 1700 I believe?)
    Except he never mentioned DVS. He said he just wants to use 2 X1s, so the 750 would be fine.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    the club I'm at has XLR input receivers... why would I need a sound card if the DJM has XLR outputs?
    The sound card is for when you use other mixers, rather than bringing your own along every time. If you don't use DVS the 750 is a good choice.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    Except he never mentioned DVS. He said he just wants to use 2 X1s, so the 750 would be fine.
    Thread title mentions decks though.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFunky View Post
    Thread title mentions decks though.
    you're right. title can be confusing.. but if we really want to be specific, deck a deck b deck c deck d are all pretty common terms. "platter/turn tables" seem to be more in tune with DVS/whatever. but i have no need for platters as I never scratch.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Yeah, I took decks to mean tables and DVS. Regardless, he/she should have the info he/she needs now regardless of what the intention is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast