AFTER *new club in vegas rules - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

How is this any different then clubs that have a no controller policy or clubs in 2001-2006 that had a very strict vinyl only policy?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    How is this any different then clubs that have a no controller policy or clubs in 2001-2006 that had a very strict vinyl only policy?
    I don't think that was ever a 'thing' in the UK, certainly not in mine or any of my friends experience.
    I don't equate not seeing a controller to them not being allowed.

If this was prevalent in the US, could it be because of Serato's traditional strangle hold on clubs in the US..? Either use vinyl or Serato or CDJ... I guess it took a long time for Traktor to change that policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    hell I am friends with the people that started one of the most well respected and well loved underground clubs that the UK has ever had 'Electric Chair'. They started the club partly as a reaction to the whole massive-club thing in the UK and took it back to a basement with just a dj booth made of bricks and huge soundsystem. It is now legendary for having had Moodyman, Greg Wilson, Krivit, Norman Jay... the list goes on and on
    Jeez man we must have rubbed shoulders at one point, I was going to it when it was in it's infancy over at the 'Road house'. Going to 10 bar for an early drink then off to the night. Remember fondly when it was at that location being smoked out (fog machine) to the point of not seeing a thing and having to stand still (most nights) It was such a relief when they kicked it off there, remember it was all happy house etc in Manchester at that time and the Hacienda's musical policy changed to cheese. So when the lad's kicked off the 'Electric chair' most of the heads lapped it up.

Mmmm I can see a comparison here with the thread, maybe there is some possibility...............

Does this mean there's a new breed of clubber that has to be told that a night will have a more underground music policy, making the idea thats its all underground and not mainstream completely pointless? I'd like to see how many different music genres the DJ's will go through and be told not to play it, until the club becomes a venue that ends up being a club thats plays 2 genres etc i think it will just implode under its own pretentious attitude and winds up playing the very music it hates because the punters wont go coz it plays no EDM and the heads who do underground reject it out of principle. Vicious circle.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard26354 View Post
    Jeez man we must have rubbed shoulders at one point, I was going to it when it was in it's infancy over at the 'Road house'. Going to 10 bar for an early drink then off to the night. Remember fondly when it was at that location being smoked out (fog machine) to the point of not seeing a thing and having to stand still (most nights) It was such a relief when they kicked it off there, remember it was all happy house etc in Manchester at that time and the Hacienda's musical policy changed to cheese. So when the lad's kicked off the 'Electric chair' most of the heads lapped it up.

Mmmm I can see a comparison here with the thread, maybe there is some possibility...............
    Ah man absolutely I was there at the Roadhouse before they went to the Music Box as well.
    God that place was so claustrophobic. The music box was like an oven though !!!
    Did you go on any of the Electric Souls nites in the bus to random venues such as empty office blocks
    Mental nights.
    I still go the once a year 'Riot' , it's on the same day as my birthday which is nice

Justin & Luke are good guys. I've did with them a couple of times in fact me and a mate booked them to play in Preston once about 13 years ago. We had Scruff on and Mark Rae, all the Fat City boys. Good times.
    I think the last time I played with them was about 2 years back at Kendal calling festival, they headlined a stage and I was on before them.

Did you go to the last ever Electric Chair at the Music Box ? That was pretty emotional I have to say. End if an era to me.

Small world .
    I've got a poster here you will recognise... I'll find a pic and put it up. I've been offered money for this :-)

Found it :

Sorry gone off topic.

Prior 2003 I never saw a serato setup in any place in Houston... Almost always was techs/djm500 I know in 2004 I know of one somewhat local dj that purchased cdj1000/djm600 and would setup and take down every time he played and this prevented him from playing a lot of gigs.

I know the cdj hatred was not as big in Europe as in the us so it likely wasn't even known that... But these younger generation that are getting ther panties in a bunch over this doesn't know this because they weren't around at that time... He'll most places don't even discriminate against a controller anymore which had changed just in past 2 years..... Remember the Vic-100 was released in what 2000 could you imagine going into a club in 2000 with your laptop vci100 and audion interface??

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    Remember the Vic-100 was released in what 2000 could you imagine going into a club in 2000 with your laptop vci100 and audion interface??
    Good point. I could not have even imagined it. I was probably blissfully (at the time) unaware of controllers in 2000. The only DJ in my city using a laptop was using OtsDJ on autoplay every night and this made me very wary of laptop DJ's.

It was only later, maybe 2002/3 that I saw my mate using Traktor (actually using it as opposed to letting it autoplay) that I thought there was something worthy going on. But, even then when I started using Traktor mainly as a backup library I was accused of being an "mp3 DJ" and doing the same thing as the OtsDJ guy. It was only after getting really into controllers that people started to realise that there was more to being a "laptop DJ" than just 'pressing play'.

A guy once told me that I "pioneered the use of controllers in this city", because I was using them in the biggest clubs and helping to make them more acceptable... I'm quite proud of that, even though I continued to get shit off people for not using CDJ's. It was around this time that the inverted snobbery of people who grew up with the CDJ became a problem.

The accusation to an old vinyl head that you aren't a real DJ because you use a controller instead of CDJ's was taking irony (in an American context) off the scale. I must admit it took me a while to get used to, and ignore these people.

Tech Wizard

I understand naming the artists they won't play is a marketing strategy. But some of those artist have some great tracks that would be more than worthy to be underground and non-mainstream style. I like the idea though. Having a type of underground club that you see in other cities.

In my opinion, unless you are a total night person, I wouldn't want to hear that big room, xylophone type drops. Id want a more mellow or even progressive style. But thats just me personally

I wonder how successful it will be though. Vegas isn't obviously known for the non-mainstream music like NYC or Berlin, or even Ibiza.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Good point. I could not have even imagined it. I was probably blissfully (at the time) unaware of controllers in 2000. The only DJ in my city using a laptop was using OtsDJ on autoplay every night and this made me very wary of laptop DJ's.

It was only later, maybe 2002/3 that I saw my mate using Traktor (actually using it as opposed to letting it autoplay) that I thought there was something worthy going on. But, even then when I started using Traktor mainly as a backup library I was accused of being an "mp3 DJ" and doing the same thing as the OtsDJ guy. It was only after getting really into controllers that people started to realise that there was more to being a "laptop DJ" than just 'pressing play'.

A guy once told me that I "pioneered the use of controllers in this city", because I was using them in the biggest clubs and helping to make them more acceptable... I'm quite proud of that, even though I continued to get shit off people for not using CDJ's. It was around this time that the inverted snobbery of people who grew up with the CDJ became a problem.

The accusation to an old vinyl head that you aren't a real DJ because you use a controller instead of CDJ's was taking irony (in an American context) off the scale. I must admit it took me a while to get used to, and ignore these people.
    To be fair I had the same mind set when I would have the DJ before me using a controller.. But I think it was due to the fact that the kid could not DJ for shit and was extremely sloppy in the booth with his gear. That tends to be the case for most controller DJs I run into.. I've had my fair share of S4 users who were in and out before me and understood how to keep the flow of music going so I kinda just brushed off the dislike for controllers once I was introduced to these people. I still have that CDJ love though, it's how I learned so I guess I'll never get over it lol.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast