The Official Pioneer PLX-1000 Thread. - Page 3
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gooch View Post
    That's hard to believe, but if you say so... I don't see any reason for them to throw their hat in the ring unless they're doing something next level unless they just can't stand to see someone else's product next to their mixers.
    Maybe because Technics are no longer produced, and while many believe some of the options out there for vinyl are as good as (if not better than) Technics, nothing has really taken the "industry standard" turntable as of yet - that and vinyls supposed resurgence.

Tech Mentor

That's hard to believe, but if you say so...
    There actually IS the possibility to use laser to playback records (http://www.elpj.com), but I doubt the concept would work in a club/party environment, also, with prices starting at $15.000 it's quite unlikely to be interesting for a broader public.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Maybe because Technics are no longer produced, and while many believe some of the options out there for vinyl are as good as (if not better than) Technics, nothing has really taken the "industry standard" turntable as of yet - that and vinyls supposed resurgence.
    I don't see a vinyl resurgence in DJing... For home consumers, maybe, but not for DJs.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    There actually IS the possibility to use laser to playback records (http://www.elpj.com), but I doubt the concept would work in a club/party environment, also, with prices starting at $15.000 it's quite unlikely to be interesting for a broader public.
    So it is possible and they've been doing it since 97? I'm sure its affordable now and they could probably manufacture something in the price range of their CDJ's.

But DJs like the ritual of using needles and tonearms. And how would you needle drop? While a scientific possibility, I'd say laser tracking vinyl turntables for DJs is a practical impossibility.

DJWORX
    - The very best DJ gear news, reviews and opinion

I don't see a vinyl resurgence in DJing... For home consumers, maybe, but not for DJs.
    Hence why I said supposed, but yes you're right.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Only on DJTT can a thread go from turntable to laser technology in 1 page.

If these turntables don't hover then Pioneer are doomed and will go under within 5 years.

Pioneer making a turntable would be really cool considering what they've done with CDJs and blurring the lines between traditional DJing and controllerism, but it's definitely cost more than what Technics cost brand new that's for sure. I'm not sure how stoked people are gonna be about a $1000+ turntable, no matter how many cool features it has.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Mentor

So it is possible and they've been doing it since 97? I'm sure its affordable now and they could probably manufacture something in the price range of their CDJ's.
    The prices on the site I linked to are recent...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    If these turntables don't hover then Pioneer are doomed and will go under within 5 years.
    I don't think there's much of a market for expensive turntables that aren't Technics. And if Technics couldn't make money why would Pioneer step in the ring. If they aren't reinventing the turntable they'll at the most release something like the Reloop RP-8000 for twice the price. Either way, they're not going out of business or creating the new industry standard.

As for needle dropping I imagined something like scrolling through a waveform or a simple touch strip the same way it's handled on controllers, CDJ's and DVS.

But this is useless speculation. I'm bored and wanted to talk about the possibility of fancy new tech on a site that used to like that kind of stuff.

Tech Mentor

The prices on the site I linked to are recent...
    I was going by the trademark of 1997 and it looking like a VCR I used to have and assumed it was old.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast