The Official Pioneer PLX-1000 Thread. - Page 5
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Learned on vinyl remember when you didt dare mention cdj at a club much less a laptop/computer I quit vinyl due to many factors mostly the ability to find a good source for new releases and this was back in 2005ish so would love to see vinyl come back makes for lots of fun not requiring anything but a pile of vinyl to mix... Hence why I'm getting a cheap cdj djm setup purchase
    So I can go back to not needing a laptop

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Oh god yeah I gave up doing a weekly vinyl shop many moons ago. Just couldn't justify the outlay.

DVS saved me from 'needing' the vinyl and accepting the wav/mp3.

Learned on vinyl but had to adapt to CD because the main clubs I managed to get regular work at didn't have decks. I was lucky enough to carry on using vinyl at the bar I was resident at for 10 years whilst I transitioned to CD at the clubs. As soon as I took Traktor seriously I ditched the use of CDJ's (apart from for backup) completely only doing CDJ gigs where necessary.

I never had the love affair that most do with CDJ's. I find them to be lifeless objects. I had more fun with the VCI 100 than I ever had with CDJ's although I have never had possession of CDJ2000's so I can't really comment on them other than if they are anything like the CDJ 1000 then I'll pass.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Probably true but I know at least 3 DJ's personally that learnt on either CDJ's or controllers and have moved over to vinyl and only use vinyl now. These are guys that have been DJ's for 3 maybe 4 years.

They play a lot of 'Moodyman' type stuff, disco edits etc so the vinyl is there to be bought.

I think this so-called vinyl revival is real enough, just not as big as is sometimes made out.

The last piece of vinyl I bought was the last Boards Of Canada lp and I only bought the vinyl cus their albums are beautiful things. You got a download of the album as well which I think is a great idea. I think more people would buy an album on vinyl if they knew there was a free download for their iPod or car or to DJ with if they are a DJ. No free download and you have to rip it or buy it again on CD or MP3 which is a bit off putting for most considering the cost involved.

The new Quantic album on Tru-Thoughts comes with a download version. I think it's smart.
    You nailed it.

I don't think there will be a 'big' resurgence in the DJ world but I would say there seems to be a bit of a move back to it for House/Disco/Techno/Dub guys with some people playing all those genres in the same set (Ben UFO, Floating Points, Theo Parish etc)

The thing with this style of music is that there are vinyl only limited press's, white labels and old school gems that aren't available digitally. There's also the traditionalist image and vibe house heads like along with the hunt for records and the exclusiveness/excitement (or anger depending on what side of Discogs market you are on!) of a classic re press adds to the fun (can see how some people would think this is crazy haha).

I think in the underground circles the whole minimal techno/tech house thing from the mid to late 00's and the popularity of CDJ's or Richie Hawtin style Traktor DJ's peaked a few years ago and receded a bit in the last few years with the focus shifting back to Deep House, Raw Techno, Weird Left field stuff and Jacking House which might explain the shift, you only have to have a quick look at the single reviews on RA to see this I don't remember the last time I read a Minus review on there.

Anyway really curious about this turntable. The ironic thing is I would rather it be a no nonsense Technics type of machine then a forward thinking midi experiment with that it will probably end up being... Or maybe you will plug a usb into it and use it like a DVS system but with the ability to switch to normal records.. That would be pretty dope...

Tech Guru

Oh god yeah I gave up doing a weekly vinyl shop many moons ago. Just couldn't justify the outlay.

DVS saved me from 'needing' the vinyl and accepting the wav/mp3.

Learned on vinyl but had to adapt to CD because the main clubs I managed to get regular work at didn't have decks. I was lucky enough to carry on using vinyl at the bar I was resident at for 10 years whilst I transitioned to CD at the clubs. As soon as I took Traktor seriously I ditched the use of CDJ's (apart from for backup) completely only doing CDJ gigs where necessary.

I never had the love affair that most do with CDJ's. I find them to be lifeless objects. I had more fun with the VCI 100 than I ever had with CDJ's although I have never had possession of CDJ2000's so I can't really comment on them other than if they are anything like the CDJ 1000 then I'll pass.
    This, with bells on.

Started in 1994 with vinyl and wasn't even remotely tempted by CDJ's at all, I stopped buying vinyl circa 2006 mainly due to the £70 a week bill which was becoming harder to bear given things like mortgages etc. I then took a few years break before discovering the S4, and I have not looked back since. 2x1210's and the S4, perfect combo IMHO.

I don't understand the fawning over Pioneer either, more so with the Nexus range which introduced even more controller like features. That pony has been well flogged now (and not for debate here, again!), but it is still laughable when I occasionally witness CDJ DJ turn his nose up at a controller.

Back to the topic, apart from adding in some digital DJing features such as USB, Rekordbox, DVS facility etc to the turntable, I don't know what Pioneer can bring to the table, the Technics and even Super OEM's have those bases covered already. But I suppose there's always someone willing to buy them..
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

I have a "fairly strong feeling" that a turntable will come out later this year from Pioneer

Hopefully they don't fluff it up like their last effort ... metal lining in the plastic base to give it more weight ... it was a P.O.S ...

In all seriousness though, it makes sense for them to release a deck to strengthen their new found relationship with Serato, working with their more "traditional" users who prefer analogue control over their digital platform. And that the supply of Technics spares will one day dry up (a dark day in the DJ world some time in the future ...)

Personally though, I have a set of 1210mk2's that I haven't used in years as they're out on tour doing whatever festival is in Melbourne, and I haven't purchased or played vinyl since my place was broken into 7 odd years ago and I lost about 400 records (the bags/cases I used to gig with) which resulted in me completely going to Traktor that I was starting to use (some time around Traktor 3.4 I think) ...

Anyhow, back on topic, whenever it lands I don't think I'll need to get a set ...
    Last edited by frankle; 02-05-2014 at 08:25 AM.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Yes it would. Because there's no way to play a record, other than with a needle. It's technically impossible.
    TECHNICALLY it is entirely possible, with a laser reader. Been done before.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by frankle View Post
    Hopefully they don't fluff it up like their last effort ... metal lining in the plastic base to give it more weight ... it was a P.O.S ..
    when has pioneer ever made an analog DJ Turntable? if they have what's the model called? Cuz I believe they've only ever done shitty hi fi tables

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by despo View Post
    when has pioneer ever made an analog DJ Turntable? if they have what's the model called? Cuz I believe they've only ever done shitty hi fi tables
    The Pioneer Pro DJ-3500.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    TECHNICALLY it is entirely possible, with a laser reader. Been done before.
    ACTUALLY you're entirely right, with what you say. Been said before....

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    There actually IS the possibility to use laser to playback records (http://www.elpj.com), but I doubt the concept would work in a club/party environment, also, with prices starting at $15,000 it's quite unlikely to be interesting for a broader public.

The Pioneer Pro DJ-3500.
    Yeah thats it and its a P.O.S!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast