The release of serato 1.6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default The release of serato 1.6

From what i am seeing a lot of improvements in the new release of serato. It was beta tested by serato users publically for about 2 months and it is finally finished. Was wondering if anyone has had a chance to use this as of yet?
    http://serato.com/dj#md=vid-dialog&vid=whats-new-in-dj

Is this enough to make anyone make the jump from traktor? Just curious to what people think.

Nameable Cuepoints FTW!!!

Listen up, NI!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Nameable Cuepoints FTW!!!

Listen up, NI!!!
    yea man i honestly have wanted to stick with traktor but serato is really making some big strides, i am just wating to see if 1.6 is stable then i think i may make the jump to serato.

I'm really digging it, but I also really never cared for traktor. Every time I try to get into it for DVS it'd just be headache after headache.

On my to pick up my x1 from a friends and I'm going to fuck around more seriously tonight and see if I can spot any bugs

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    I'm really digging it, but I also really never cared for traktor. Every time I try to get into it for DVS it'd just be headache after headache.

On my to pick up my x1 from a friends and I'm going to fuck around more seriously tonight and see if I can spot any bugs
    If you dont mind posting here i would appreciate it, i am already seeing people complaining about things with 1.6 on serato forums. Let me know what you find out.

It was running pretty smooth for me last night, my only complaint is you can't midi map browse. Pretty lame omission but not a deal breaker

Oh I just remembered a glitch though - plugging in more then one serato device will crash the program.

Expected it but yeah shit crashed plugging in both my ddjsx and sl4

Tech Mentor

I'm still not convinced by serato, I don't like the single decimal place on the BPM, makes it impossible to know actually how close you are, they have 2 decimal places on dj intro, which ironically makes for a much better time beatmatching without sync.

I'm also not convinced by the way the functions map out to midi controllers, trying to map the 'track gain adjust' to an encoder results in the gain moving in large steps, map it to a pot and you get fine control but using a pot means that anytime you want to tweak the track gain adjust means that you will 9 times out of 10 see a large jump as the control matches the next pot value it sees, this is poor either way you look at it for a program that saves track gain information for each track, it should be setup to accept encoder input for fine control.

My experience. OSX Mountain Lion seems to be working well with Rane 62 and SL2. Windows 8.1 only works with SL2 not Rane 62.
    Used Record Shopper

Tech Mentor

Is this sub forum dead? Doesn't seem to be much action on it, which begs the question, is serato any good? Even with the updates I'm not convinced, there seem to be so many little oddities about serato that I can't quite work out what it's trying to do/be.

Like rotary encoders, in serato they appear to suck, hard, you get big clunky step changes, I appreciate that it doesn't look visually intuitive to move an encoder one rotation and only see it move a bit but it's also not sonically intuitive to have huge step changes that are audible on things like effects and I care about the sound way more than the look of serato. Map one of the effects knobs to a pot and you get a nice smooth action on it.

Waveforms, beat gridding, cue markers, loops, sampler all kind of work, a bit but not really how you would want.

Waveforms are ridiculously small and you can't zoom in enough to actually see where you're placing the cue point, beat grid, loop point, so it has a ripple effect. They essentially expect us to guess roughly where we want to place those things, leading to issues with sync, clicks and pops because you can't see a zero crossing point etc.

The samplers, look like they're an attempt to add extra decks in but not quite, no chance of platter control on the sampler but you get everything else from a deck control wise, you just get stupidly small waveforms and everything squeezed into an incredibly tight space on-screen. Fundamentally, anything that can play an mp3/wav/flac in any of the dj software apps. is a sample player, so it seems stupid to even bother differentiating between them. Just merge the functions and stop pretending they're 2 different things.

Current BPM display is pitiful for the decks, they only display to a single decimal place, what's worse is that the resolution on the pitch faders on a lot of controllers is poor, 128 steps over 16% of pitch = 0.125% per step, coupled together, it makes it impossible to see whether the BPMs are matching and if you could see it to 2 decimal places it is stilll impossible to tempo match because the resolution is so poor. you can have what look like matching BPMs and still be 0.1 of a bpm out, at 180bpm it will drift quickly. The same goes for trying to tempo match, if you could physically see the bpm, 180.37 for instance, because the resolution on the pitch fader is so low, you might have to settle for being at 180.25 on the 2nd tune, again it will drift, no matter how good you are beat and tempo matching on a pair of technics, you won't be able to achieve the same accuracy.

The kicker with the BPM only displaying to a single decimal place is that the sample players, despite having the most things stuffed into an interface that I've seen in a while, they still managed to find space for.... 2 decimal places on the bpm display.

Now you could blame the pitch fader resolution on the controller makers but I didn't buy the software from the controller makers, traktor doesn't care which controller you're using, you can map anything to give you fine pitch control, which brings me neatly onto serato's last problem, midi mapping, it's rudimentary at best, with zero options to re-map official serato controllers and very basic options to add in 3rd party controllers to try and fix missing/broken stuff.

A lot of functions that you might like to remap, pitch faders, volume sliders, crossfaders, platters simply don't exist, serato give some poor excuse that the way platters work on controllers is completely different to each other, which is such a BS reason, I don't know why they even wrote that in the manual.

The platters might function in slightly different ways, the fact that serato *KNOWS* how they all work pretty much bites them in the ass, hard. When you plug in a serato based controller, serato IS internally mapping your platters :-D They do this on every single controller that they support.

I could also just use sync, for the tempo matching, although for those of us that want to 'do it oldschool' that's not a reasonable option, for anyone trying to train their ears and learn how to tempo match it's also not a reasonable option, it doesn't work properly, it needs fixing. We need the all of the software functions to be midi mappable and we need the official controllers to have some remapping functions too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast