Question about using Kontrol Z1 with X1 Mk2
    Tech Mentor

Default Question about using Kontrol Z1 with X1 Mk2

I'm thinking about getting a Kontrol Z1 to use with my X1 Mk2 on occasions where i need to travel light and don't want to bring my analogue mixer.

Having read about the Z1 and X1 combo I can see how it can control traktor in two deck mode perfectly.
    However I can't see how it would work if you wanted to control 4 decks, or 2 decks + 2 remix decks.

Can anyone give any feedback on this? Does it handle this workflow somehow by default? Or have people got good ways of doing this with some custom mappings?

Thanks, P

Tech Guru

Get a 4 channel controller like the CMD MM1 or K2 if you need 4 track decks.

EQ and faders aren't so necessary for remix decks, so the Z1 could be paired with an X1+F1 for the 2+2 setup.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    EQ and faders aren't so necessary for remix decks, so the Z1 could be paired with an X1+F1 for the 2+2 setup.
    If you use an F1 as well, do the remix decks get routed to the master output, i.e. bypassing the mixer controls on the Z1 altogether? If so does that mean you can't preview them in the headphones at all?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I know there was 4deck mapping for Z1 in DJTT Maps.

With the F1, you can only control the volumes of individual columns. To actually mix with them, they go through the internal mixer like any other deck. I would recommend the Kone K2 for what you want to do.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the replies.

Xone K2 looks great but I can't live without a crossfader unfortunately. If it had one I would be all over it.

The Behringer MM-1 is the obvious choice, and I think I'm going to pick one up and see how I get on with it.

I still like the Z1 though. It appeals to me that it pairs up so nicely with the X1 (both functionally and in physical form), and I really like that it reduces the amount of cabling and extra boxes needed (sound card), so seems like a very simple setup.
    The question is could I get on with the 4 deck mapping for it, and I think I'll only know the answer to that if i try it.
    So will probably have to pick one of these up too to compare