Tips On Cleaning Out Music Library? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    format
    i wonder why people are so narcissistic into thinking their one worded response is so valuable that it needs to be shared... especially when it brings zero value..
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Convert

thanks for the useful advice on file management! i personally like to load all my music into to itunes and keep it there (setting itunes to duplicate track upon import) i then move the original to an external HD. when i open traktor i bring in playlist/song from the itunes menu

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Eugguy View Post
    A rule of thumb is when thinking of a song you want to buy, download, and add to your collection is this..."would you PAY to KEEP this song in your library?"
    I like this!

TC, instead of deleting your old music have you considered moving it into an archive folder (not indexed by Traktor) or an external drive? That way if you REALLY WANT that one specific song again you can get it. I do this because I've had the experience before of rebuying an old track because I had deleted it years ago. What rootjazz said works too, although that's a little extreme for me.
    I play house music!
    http://tortango.com/

A program like Music Duplicate Remover could be helpful here. I cannot imagine selecting every song from my huge collection manually, it would take years

Quote Originally Posted by Eugguy View Post
    In cleaning out your library, you have to be ruthless as keithace mentioned...however, I find that it really depends on why you are doing so as well as what type of dj you are. If you are a bedroom dj, you may not need to be as organized in tagging, organizing your collection. Now, if you are a mobile dj, the bigger and most vast of a selection you have, the stronger you are as a dj. This of course still means nothing if you cannot find what you have. To me, I tag everything to a tee. I retag, reformat the mp3, install the album art, and rate the track...I can go on and on about my specific technique. However, you must do what works for you! A rule of thumb is when thinking of a song you want to buy, download, and add to your collection is this..."would you PAY to KEEP this song in your library?" That is also assuming that you actually PAY for your music! Don't just add and add songs into your library just because you have the ability to, but think of your hard drive as your garage (where you may have held your entire record/vinyl collection in the past) where you have limited space and energy to store your records. As a dj, this is what separates each of us from each other. I am constantly removing songs that I KNOW will never get any play time from me. Why just keep something if it takes up space? DJ'ing is about having good, unique music. I would start off by cleaning out whatever you don't need, and music that will never even get loaded into one of your virtual decks...makes you much more efficient as a dj and makes for a better set. Removing doubles of songs can only take you so far!!!
    all true.
    as people said it before, create an archive of all tracks in case you really need some of them in the future.
    and then start cleaning and SHOW NO MERCY. my rule - if you see a name of the track and you have no idea in your mind how it sounds (melody or smth) - it is of no use to you.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

I listen to my library on shuffle (random) and then delete or re-tag. It's a great way to chip away at your library on a regular basis.

You could also also make a list of your lower bit rate tracks and then delete them.
    I've written a few bangers and played a few raves but have since sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by rootjazz View Post
    Backup everything off to an external drive.

Then delete it all.

Then when you really want a track add it in.
    That's my method

Quote Originally Posted by rootjazz View Post
    Backup everything off to an external drive.

Then delete it all.

Then when you really want a track add it in.

Very sound reasoning. Im giving this a go!
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    -downloads are all over my Macbook HD. Some in the downloads folder, some in the iTunes folder... id love to consolidate them all into one MUSIC place.

Thoughts/help?
    Just a note on this one. iTunes does actually have a very handy way of doing this with minimal damage to the library.
    iTunes > File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate files.
    *Be sure to check you have TWICE the disk space of your library before you attempt this. It won't store that much but needs it to perform the task.
    Would probably be worth turning on 'copy to iTunes folder when importing' for future too. This way anything you download, import then delete from the downloads folder.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by immon View Post
    I listen to my library on shuffle (random) and then delete or re-tag. It's a great way to chip away at your library on a regular basis.

You could also also make a list of your lower bit rate tracks and then delete them.
    I've just started doing this. I've put everything on my phone and play every track while I'm on the treadmill. If I don't like it anymore or can't figure out where I would play it, I add it to a playlist called "Delete".

Then at a later time, I'll take the playlist and remove it from the main library.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12