Recording CDJ Mix, I've tried everything... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crem Brule View Post
    how so? I use a djm850 which granted has 4 channels and a built in soundcard but it doesnt connect to the MBP with anything other than a USB cable so how is it not recording internally, the feed from the mixer is being fedback into the MBP? Maybe I am missing something here.

edit- I do understand you are not recording the internally mixed source as effects and eq applied at the mixer appear on the feed back into Traktor. But its still recorded internally inst it? Same software on the same machine?
    When talking about recording in Traktor, internally doesn't refer to the location of the recording software but on the point where the channels get mixed. When Traktor is set to internal mixing, that occurs within Traktor (even when using that option with midi mapped standalone mixers/controllers with internal audiointerfaces) so recording is internal. Traktor can then send that output to the standalone mixer/controller soundcard but it's still internal mixing (That's why they say Traktor Z2 is more of a controller).

You're looking at it from a wrong point of view: instead of "the feed from the mixer is being fedback into the MBP" try looking at it like "Traktor is accessing the mixers master out feed via USB".
    Makar1 said it nicely

to the OP: I'm still waiting for my post to get approved (for like...a week?) but I'm selling a simple but quality USB soundcard (RCA gold plated inputs, even S/PDIF ins&outs) that is perfect for recording for just 35€. If you're in UK we can make a deal.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    When talking about recording in Traktor, internally doesn't refer to the location of the recording software but on the point where the channels get mixed. When Traktor is set to internal mixing, that occurs within Traktor (even when using that option with midi mapped standalone mixers/controllers with internal audiointerfaces) so recording is internal. Traktor can then send that output to the standalone mixer/controller soundcard but it's still internal mixing (That's why they say Traktor Z2 is more of a controller).

You're looking at it from a wrong point of view: instead of "the feed from the mixer is being fedback into the MBP" try looking at it like "Traktor is accessing the mixers master out feed via USB"
    Cheers for that, makes sense now!
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

I think I get it now, cheers guys

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    to the OP: I'm still waiting for my post to get approved (for like...a week?) but I'm selling a simple but quality USB soundcard (RCA gold plated inputs, even S/PDIF ins&outs) that is perfect for recording for just 35€. If you're in UK we can make a deal.
    If you've been waiting that long, chances are you didn't fulfill all the rules (picture with username?) and your submission got deleted.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by tilldrop View Post
    Please note: THIS IS JUST A THEORY! I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL, NOR HAVE I TESTED THIS! I dont think there is much that could go wrong testing it, but do at your own risk ;-)

Are you sure your Macbook only has an output jack? Mine has only one jack labeled for headphones as well, but if I remember correctly it works with an headset. That means (at least for my Macbook) that with the correct cable I could have (unused) headphone channels (stereo) out and a microphone (mono) in, which you can than record in Ableton.
    If my theory is correct all you need is a 3.5mm 4-Pin to 2x 3-Pin 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter and a cinch to 3.5 (mono if possible) cable from your mixer (master) into the microphone cable of the splitter adapter.
    This is the answer. In the Sound options, you can switch the audio jack from line-out to line-in. I know, because I've done it many times before.
    Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 16.27.05.jpg

Also, your audio jack is TRRS, meaning it works as headphones and mic at the same time, like the iPhone/pick-your-poison-smartphone. You don't even need any sort of splitter, just one of these.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Guru

That is not "the answer". Old MacBooks have line in, new ones do not.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If you've been waiting that long, chances are you didn't fulfill all the rules (picture with username?) and your submission got deleted.
    Thanks makar, but yeah..pretty sure I've done everything that's required. I'll probably try again later if I don't sell it localy by then.

Back to the topic... how come new macbook's don't have it? That's a bloody good thing to have on a laptop
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

They have a MBP. Even the ones as far back as 2009 had this feature. My wife's 15" 5,1 model, for example.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Guru

Macbook Pros from 2009 have line in. New ones do not.

Is your own MBP new?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    They have a MBP. Even the ones as far back as 2009 had this feature. My wife's 15" 5,1 model, for example.
    Guess what - the new ones don't!

I have a late 2013 MBP myself and can confirm there is no input.

The audio jack can't be switched between input and output.

To the OP:

I'd get a small portable recorder. Good brands are e.g. Zoom or Tascam. You can easily buy second hand, too.

This is probably the easiest option. These small recorders usually work with SD cards, so either you have a card reader on your computer or you just hook them up via USB.

You can also take them on the road to record you sets at clubs/bars/parties, so you don't have to take your laptop with you on such occasions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast