Recording CDJ Mix, I've tried everything...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Recording CDJ Mix, I've tried everything...

Alright, so I need to record a mix for a local promoter guy.

I've got…

A pair of CDJ 900s
    Xone:22 Mixer
    Traktor Audio 2 (no ins, only outs)
    Macbook Pro with Ableton, Traktor, Reason, etc. (jack is out only, so no ins)
    A plethora of random cables.

Is there ANY way I could record a mix using what I have. The Audio 2 won't work because it only has outs, and I can't use line-in because fucking apple decided to not include it in this particular MBP model.

Is my only option to go get myself a soundcard that has ins?

Default Recording CDJ Mix, I've tried everything...

Your options are: 1) to get a soundcard with audio in 2) get an external recorder like a zoom h4n or cheaper or 3) record internally in traktor and just make the mix using keyboard mappings as you don't have a controller.

If I were you i would opt for the external recorder. I record mixes on my zoom h4n and then pull out the SD card and put it in my mac.

More reading here http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/09/0...ding-dj-mixes/
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Please note: THIS IS JUST A THEORY! I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL, NOR HAVE I TESTED THIS! I dont think there is much that could go wrong testing it, but do at your own risk ;-)

Are you sure your Macbook only has an output jack? Mine has only one jack labeled for headphones as well, but if I remember correctly it works with an headset. That means (at least for my Macbook) that with the correct cable I could have (unused) headphone channels (stereo) out and a microphone (mono) in, which you can than record in Ableton.
    If my theory is correct all you need is a 3.5mm 4-Pin to 2x 3-Pin 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter and a cinch to 3.5 (mono if possible) cable from your mixer (master) into the microphone cable of the splitter adapter.

Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Fairly certain a cheap USB sound card would suffice or test above method of just trying a line in even trough one jack?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    3) record internally in traktor and just make the mix using keyboard mappings as you don't have a controller.
    Can he not just use the CDJ900s to control the Trakor decks (via midi/HID) then just record internally within Traktor?

As an example the last mix I recorded I used my 2900s to control Traktor (both connected to laptop via usb cables), used my mixer in EXTERNAL mode, but still recorded the mix INTERNALLY within Traktor. He might need a usb hub to plug in both 900s & his Traktor soundcard to the laptop but I can't see why that wouldn't work for him unless I've missed something!

Edit: unless it worked with mine because my mixer is effectively a 4 channel Traktor soundcard?
    Last edited by Irrational Fear; 02-07-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Tech Guru

No, it is impossible to record internally when mixing externally...using Traktor to record does not mean you are recording "internally".

Simple sound cards with 1 line input are very cheap.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    No, it is impossible to record internally when mixing externally...using Traktor to record does not mean you are recording "internally".
    Ta for the clarification, I assume I must have one of the spare channels on my mixer set as a record channel then and it's routing it into Traktor's recorder that way.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post

how so? I use a djm850 which granted has 4 channels and a built in soundcard but it doesnt connect to the MBP with anything other than a USB cable so how is it not recording internally, the feed from the mixer is being fedback into the MBP? Maybe I am missing something here.

edit- I do understand you are not recording the internally mixed source as effects and eq applied at the mixer appear on the feed back into Traktor. But its still recorded internally inst it? Same software on the same machine?
    Last edited by Crem Brule; 02-07-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Tech Guru

Recording internally means you are recording Traktor's Master Output. Recording externally means recording the output of your external mixer.

The DJMs with sound cards have 4 upstream channels, any of which can be used to send the mixer output to the computer.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast