Need to make a decision by Thursday!!! Help please.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Need to make a decision by Thursday!!! Help please.

So I have been struggling between the DDJ sx and the NS 7II. I have a little experience with 1200's and play mostly hip hop. It's been about 8 plus years since I really got my hands dirty spinning. I checked out both controllers at GC and really like the spinning platters on the NS 7 II. However I can't justify paying that much for a controller right now. I want to slowly see if I can get into djn again. I have a cousin that djs at a local bar and our mutual friend owns it. i have the opportunity to open up for him and maybe even pick up a couple of nights myself. So I don't want cheap entry level controller but i don't think I need the best either. What do you recommend for someone in my situation? I don't think I will use the 4 decks either. nice to have I'm sure but I'm not there yet. Ohh and I said by Thursday because it's my birthday and I want to treat myself. Or maybe my girlfriend will pitch in also since its before valentines.
    Thank you in advance for your time and feedback!!!

Tech Wizard

I have never used the NS 7 Mk2 but I can tell you that for what you want I dont think its going to give you anyhting over the DDJ SX. The SX is an amazing controller and is used by many professional DJs. The price tag on the NS7 is too hefty for what you are getting imho.
    Mix Setup: Traktor Kontrol S4 // Midi Fighter Spectra // Retina Mabook pro 13" // Traktor Pro 2.6 // Crane Stand Plus // Beats By Dre Studio + Solo HD
    Production Setup: Ableton Live 9 // JBL LSR 305 Monitors // Korg Microkey 25 // Maschine Mikro // Massive // Kontact // FM8 // Zebra 2 // Sylenth1
    Nostalgia Setup: 2 Stanton STR8-80s // Vestax PMC-06pro (Signed by Qbert himself)

Tech Mentor

I am seriously against making such a big decision over a few days. Read reviews, look for alternatives, sleep it over. Don't rush into anything, ever.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by lemeiux1 View Post
    I have never used the NS 7 Mk2 but I can tell you that for what you want I dont think its going to give you anyhting over the DDJ SX. The SX is an amazing controller and is used by many professional DJs. The price tag on the NS7 is too hefty for what you are getting imho.
    Thanks for the reply lemeiux1. I agree. I tested the NS 7 II and I like it but not for $500 more.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    I am seriously against making such a big decision over a few days. Read reviews, look for alternatives, sleep it over. Don't rush into anything, ever.
    Scalage I have been reading and trying to get as much info as possible. And as I have stated i did get to put my hads briefly on the NS 7 II and DDj sx. I just seem to keep driving myself crazy reading reviews watching videos and trying to make my mind up.

Tech Mentor

the DDJ SX is an amazing controller for the price.

it offers everything the NS7 II does, except for rotating platters. Save your wallet ( and your back), get the SX

I don't even own an SX, i've played with both though.
    Done DJ'ing

Tech Convert

To clarify my question. I don't want to spend the money on the NS 7 II so that is out. So my question is should I buy the DDJ sx or Sr since I don't think I'll use the 4 decks? My consern with the DDj SR is the usb power. Will I be stuck if my laptop fails? with the sx I would be able to use an ipod or other device to play music if the laptop crashes. Also to make it more confusing are there any other suggestions besides the SR and sx?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by redliner View Post
    Scalage I have been reading and trying to get as much info as possible. And as I have stated i did get to put my hads briefly on the NS 7 II and DDj sx. I just seem to keep driving myself crazy reading reviews watching videos and trying to make my mind up.
    In that case I'm ok with this approach

Tech Mentor

with the SR, you will be screwed if your laptop goes down. the SX can double as a simple 4 channel mixer.

the new Reloop controller is a pretty solid controller. It features RGB Led's and big Jogwheels.

Right now the SX is going for $789.00 on Proaudiostar.
    Done DJ'ing

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by redliner View Post
    To clarify my question. I don't want to spend the money on the NS 7 II so that is out. So my question is should I buy the DDJ sx or Sr since I don't think I'll use the 4 decks? My consern with the DDj SR is the usb power. Will I be stuck if my laptop fails? with the sx I would be able to use an ipod or other device to play music if the laptop crashes. Also to make it more confusing are there any other suggestions besides the SR and sx?
    even if you dont use 4 decks, the option to is always nice to have in case you change your playing style in the future (which if you are just getting back into it from using tables like I did, you will). Also being able to use it as a stand alone mixer is awesome because it gives you some expandability for the future (like of you wanted to dust off those old tables or add soem CDJ's).

I would NOT recommend getting the SR if you actually plan to play out and do it into the future because you will end up replacing it and spending another grand when you realize you want the extra 2 decks
    Mix Setup: Traktor Kontrol S4 // Midi Fighter Spectra // Retina Mabook pro 13" // Traktor Pro 2.6 // Crane Stand Plus // Beats By Dre Studio + Solo HD
    Production Setup: Ableton Live 9 // JBL LSR 305 Monitors // Korg Microkey 25 // Maschine Mikro // Massive // Kontact // FM8 // Zebra 2 // Sylenth1
    Nostalgia Setup: 2 Stanton STR8-80s // Vestax PMC-06pro (Signed by Qbert himself)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast