Using CDJ 1000 MK3's with Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using CDJ 1000 MK3's with Traktor

Ok guys I've been wanting to learn how to beatmatch properly and have managed to track down a pair of CDJ 1000 MK3's and a DJM 600 for €550 which is obviously an absolute steal.

I realise these don't have USB or HID support which is fine as I can burn CDs or use SD cards.

However I would like the option of hooking them up to Traktor and using my Traktor Kontrol X1 to control the software.

Also seeing as the DJM 600 is a 4 channel mixer, it does leave the vinyl path open which appeals to me also.

I realise that I need Traktor Scratch Pro, timecode CDs and an NI audio interface. Which audio interface would best suit my needs? are the older A4 and A8 cheaper and worth picking up ahead of the A6 and A10? Also can i upgrade from Traktor Pro 2 or do i need to buy Traktor Scratch Pro outright?

Thus how much does this all cost and would I be better off going for something with HID functionality?

My current setup:

Numark Mixtrack Pro II
    Traktor Kontrol X1
    Sennheiser HD25 II's
    Macbook Pro 13"
    Traktor Pro 2

Thanks

Tech Wizard

Howdy, congrats on finding a nice set of CDJs they'll do you well.
    It really depends the minimum would be the TSA6 which will give you a Traktor License and all the hard-wear you will need to setup with timecode.
    The A6 is two channel with DVS but you can use the third set of RCAs to use a remix deck which I found pretty cool when using two TTS.
    However the better long term investment would be an A10 since you won't be restricted to tractor certified mixers (without hacking the program) and still use traktor to it's full potential.
    I've never used the A4 or A8 though, but the current sound cards seem a tad simpler to setup and plus you get a scratch licence.
    Sadly I can't speak for the price difference from Euros to AUD but for simplicities sake I'll steer away from it.
    In terms of HID compatible CD players If you're fine with burning CDs (it does get tiring though) and you keep them nice and organised the 1000s will suit you.
    In all honesty though my experiences with timecode and CDJs were not that great, it was a bastard to setup in clubs in the middle of a crowded lineup. Which is what lead me to pickup some 900s and use them in HID so I'm comfortable using both HID and USB/CD if it were to crash.
    tl;dr
    1000s are sublime, if you're fine with burning CDs grab them.
    The TSA6 or 10 will be your best option.
    Timecode can be a little iffy but maybe that's just me.
    HID and Traktor is pretty good for simulating a club environment.
    Hope this all helps, feel fee to PM me in anything else arises.
    Cheers.
    Soundcloud -https://soundcloud.com/zandatsusoiree/dicking-around-in-d-b
    Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zandatsu-Soiree/150742301698202

I've said it before and I'll say it again: buying CDJ to use them to control traktor is like going to a hooker for a hug.

With timecode it's even worse, with HID you're wasting money but at least you can fully use all the buttons on the players for transport control.
    My advice: get yourself CDJ400 because of HID (then you don't need the NI interface or the TSP licence) or get yourself 2 PL-1 or SC2000 with a Audio 2/6/8/10 (depending on how many channels you need).
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

^ Pretty much this, plus 400s take every other medium you're likely to use be it Traktor or USBs in a pinch.
    Soundcloud -https://soundcloud.com/zandatsusoiree/dicking-around-in-d-b
    Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zandatsu-Soiree/150742301698202

Quote Originally Posted by JezWright123 View Post
    Ok guys I've been wanting to learn how to beatmatch properly and have managed to track down a pair of CDJ 1000 MK3's and a DJM 600 for €550 which is obviously an absolute steal.
    While that's a good price, if your goal is just to learn how to beatmatch properly - you do know you can do this in Traktor with a controller, or even the keyboard and Traktor?

I'm all for having CDJ's/tables, but that's still a hefty price to achieve the goal of learning how to beatmatch since you already have an X1, Mixtrack and Traktor.

If you want a setup that's more similar to a club setup...ok, but you really don't need this stuff to learn how to properly beat match.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    While that's a good price, if your goal is just to learn how to beatmatch properly - you do know you can do this in Traktor with a controller, or even the keyboard and Traktor?

I'm all for having CDJ's/tables, but that's still a hefty price to achieve the goal of learning how to beatmatch since you already have an X1, Mixtrack and Traktor.

If you want a setup that's more similar to a club setup...ok, but you really don't need this stuff to learn how to properly beat match.
    However my controller is really showing signs of wear. One of the pitch faders is completely faulty and the crossfader (although rarely used) doesn't work either. I also want more space between the equalizer knobs as it all feels so cramped on the mixtrack pro. My main reason for moving to CDJs is to start DJing using my ears rather than my eyes.

Tech Guru

Have you considered a CDJ-style controller like the DDJ SX? It has full length pitch faders, large jogs, and a decent hardware mixer section.

I would leave CDJs until you can afford something more up to date with USB and MIDI functionality at the minimum, especially since you want to use software.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

i don't think you can really learn to beatmatch just with keyboard and traktor...
    i did the same thing with vdj, and i could do it good, but when i tried CDJs i pretty much sucked anyway.
    you can surely get the concept of beatmatching this way, but it just isn't it until you try the real thing.

btw, you can't use SD cards for playing music on 1000s, they're there to store hotcues or something.

Tech Mentor

get those cdj1000s, burn some cd's and use timecode for the rest.

Tech Wizard

Agreed Johney, I could beatmatch fine on my mixtrack pro, but it was like learning it all over again moving to cdj's, and then again when I bought some 1210's (I was relying too much on the numbers for mixing). Glad I did it though, improved my mixing no end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast