NEW EP - 90s / Old Skool House Flavour - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    Best of luck, Max. The track was missing something, but I'm no producer and couldn't specify. Solid track, nonetheless. Glad you had these other dudes elaborate. Tell us how it went last night!
    Thanks mate, producing is hard and so subjective really... I mean i hate nearly every track i listen to so even released tracks aren't perfect and are open to criticism.

But i agree with most of what has been said so far. I'm gonna tweak em, re upload them to sc again but as private then hit up some labels.

I know they aren't a million miles away.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Thanks mate, producing is hard and so subjective really... I mean i hate nearly every track i listen to so even released tracks aren't perfect and are open to criticism.

But i agree with most of what has been said so far. I'm gonna tweak em, re upload them to sc again but as private then hit up some labels.

I know they aren't a million miles away.
    Your definitely close to having a solid EP, when you re-upload, keep em as private and hit up some labels. Best way is to send an email with the private set link, and as annoying as it is, keep it to one label at a time, and play the waiting game. Once you've sent them to a label, leave it a couple of weeks, if you don't hear back send them off to another one, some will get back to you some won't.

And your right there is plenty of crap that gets released, with the advent of digital only labels, its a lot easier to get stuff out there and a lot cheaper and so quality control has dipped.

But good luck!
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

Did you check out the other tracks on the "EP" btw? Same sort of vibe so maybe you will prefer one of them... or not.
    I like the vibe. I think amadeus has some good points what you could do to make your tracks better, but it's not like they're not already good.

The First Choice samples are off an old vinyl acapella record I have that's got a few classics on it. All the female vox sample on the EP are from it. There's loads on discogs.

Thanks!

Just a thought: many of the samples are quite well known (e.g. the First Choice ones), which means (depending on the rights holders' stance on sampling) they will have to be licensed for a commercial release.

This is something that may deter labels, since it would increase the economic risk of a release. This might be another reason to strip back the samples in the tracks.

Cheers man, you got any productions btw?
    Working on some stuff, but don't have anything I'm completely satisfied with, yet.

creator3.jpg

Seriously though, I would strip out the samples. They really don't add to the track in my opinion. Just go sample diving and look for some add libs and create a groove that compliments the track with that. Would get better results and will it will definitely catch a few more ears for being a bit more original instead of relying on the novelty fact of using a well known sample.

You've definitely captured that garage/jack feel that is all the rage these days, but like others have mentioned it's definitely missing something to polish it off and bring it all together. A nice two bar chord progression maybe, or try and have a bit more fun with those strings. Just something to put over the top of it.

Another suggestion for a young artist trying to get on a good label, have your bloody Soundcloud up to date! I don't want to see tracks from two years ago on there UNLESS they are already released. Every once in awhile I'll just go browsing through Soundcloud groups just to see who's out there (I've found a few good guys who are still staples on my labels). When I find a track that catches my ear I immediately go check out there page.

Do they have tracks released? If not what's their current body of work looking like? Is it consistent, or did they just get lucky some how and catch lightning in a bottle? Is there Facebook and possibly twitter account looking good?

People say they want to get signed and make a living doing this, but they don't present themselves as being professional. I'm not looking at how many followers/likes they have, just want to see if they are in this to win it.

Take this as advice from some one who runs two labels (one a personal project, another I'm getting paid to run) and deals with artists every day and gets sent a decent amount of demos.

Cheers and best of luck!

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the reply

Appreciate your points. I think i will have a go at stripping out the samples or finding some more obscure ones.

So Im not actually young tho btw, i'm 36... but apart from that I thought my soundcloud was up to date, also why wouldnt i have old stuff on there? it's a record of old stuff.

However, I was toying with the idea of coming up with a whole new production name... kind of like [but not on the same level of course] that shadow child did when he was dave spoon etc.

Maybe open a new sc just for that and keep my max one account with everything on?

Not sure...
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

You're young in the business, as far as being new and all. And old stuff might cloud people's judgments especially if the production quality isn't on par with your newer stuff. And I want to just see recent stuff on there as well to show your active in the studio and are actually working on your craft.

If I'm going to invest time, money and energy into an artist, especially a new one who has no previous releases, I want to make sure they are ontop of their game, are fully active in bettering themselves and really want to make a go at this.

If all I see if 4 tracks on their Soundcloud page over a 2 year span with a handful bedroom mixes, that's not really showing me that you're being active in the studio.

Ok I'm certainly not a massive producer but I have had a track released on Dizzy Funk already.

http://www.beatport.com/release/program-the-jam/984430

It got a lot of support from Inland Knights, Kinky Movement, Sonny Fodera etc

It was the second track on Inland Knights podcast and the mix their management (Elite) used at the time. My track come in at 5.45

So I do appreciate the pointers no doubt... but i'm maybe not as wet behind the ears as you think. It's just my day job directing means it's hard for me to dedicate enough time to producing.

My mate South Soul Project [Black Butter] dropped Every Day Of My Life at Catch last Friday and said it went down well btw... but i agree it needs tweaking for sure.

Cheers again for the comments.

Will take them on board

Schalenberg

My mate South Soul Project [Black Butter]
    Max, can we be buds?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    You're young in the business, as far as being new and all. And old stuff might cloud people's judgments especially if the production quality isn't on par with your newer stuff. And I want to just see recent stuff on there as well to show your active in the studio and are actually working on your craft.

If I'm going to invest time, money and energy into an artist, especially a new one who has no previous releases, I want to make sure they are ontop of their game, are fully active in bettering themselves and really want to make a go at this.

If all I see if 4 tracks on their Soundcloud page over a 2 year span with a handful bedroom mixes, that's not really showing me that you're being active in the studio.
    Cool, then take my advice and apply it as we needed, along with what most others have said on here and you're well on your way

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast