NEW EP - 90s / Old Skool House Flavour
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NEW EP - 90s / Old Skool House Flavour

NEW EP - 90s / Old Skool House Flavour

Looking for a label interested in releasing... feedback welcome!!

CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Just a word of advice, quite a lot of labels don't really like music being public if their going to sign it. Best to keep it private and send to labels if you want to get it signed.

Will check this out later when I'm home.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Just a word of advice, quite a lot of labels don't really like music being public if their going to sign it. Best to keep it private and send to labels if you want to get it signed.

Will check this out later when I'm home.
    True... was just thinking i'd get a few listens / likes on it first then put it private. D/L is turned off tho.

Any thoughts appreciated
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Schalenberg

I need this track in my life! Good job, Max!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    True... was just thinking i'd get a few listens / likes on it first then put it private.
    Those listens/likes are what is going to tell labels you didn't send them the link exclusively...

The track is ok, I kind of like it, but there's some things that somewhat bother me: Sometimes the vocal samples feel more like they've been stacked on the track rather than really belonging there (if that makes any sense to you... ). Also I'd rather cut the use of the samples back quite a bit. Right now it almost seems like you feel you need to use the samples a lot to make/keep you track interesting. It's just a bit too much.

Even though the track uses some very well known samples, I feel like it's missing that 'special something' that would make me buy it.

Btw., if you could point me to where you found that First Choice samples, I'd be really grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Those listens/likes are what is going to tell labels you didn't send them the link exclusively...

The track is ok, I kind of like it, but there's some things that somewhat bother me: Sometimes the vocal samples feel more like they've been stacked on the track rather than really belonging there (if that makes any sense to you... ). Also I'd rather cut the use of the samples back quite a bit. Right now it almost seems like you feel you need to use the samples a lot to make/keep you track interesting. It's just a bit too much.

Even though the track uses some very well known samples, I feel like it's missing that 'special something' that would make me buy it.

Btw., if you could point me to where you found that First Choice samples, I'd be really grateful.
    Thanks for the feedback

Yeah it's quite busy on the sample front... I suppose i could strip it back but I dunno i just feel like I got to add the sounds i feel / have in my head.

Did you check out the other tracks on the "EP" btw? Same sort of vibe so maybe you will prefer one of them... or not.

I mean yeah you're right, i'm gonna turn em private I think.

The First Choice samples are off an old vinyl acapella record I have that's got a few classics on it. All the female vox sample on the EP are from it. There's loads on discogs.

Cheers man, you got any productions btw?

Mx

Cheers dude! Appreciate

When it's mastered i'll ping you a copy.

Tech Guru

The hats in the first one you posted lack the snap, there a bit loose, could do with a sharper snare in there too. Just to solidify the groove, as it's there but could just be a bit tighter to carry the track along. Then when the ride does come in, it will lift it instead of keeping it at the same level. And I agree, I would stick with just the female vocal snippets, bit too many popping in here and there. It seems a bit too busy at the moment to let the groove carry the track.

The drums on the second track are a lot tighter, they definitely work well. But again, there's a lot going on in the track, various little synths and noise effects which actually detract from the groove. Strip the track back a bit, work on solidifying the groove, the drums and bass will carry the track.

The third one, get rid of the vocal at the beginning, doesn't work, and leave the intro to run longer before bringing vocals in etc I would say just keep the female vocal sample in, strip back some of the effects in the background during the main bit, the track doesn't need it.

Overall solid efforts, just need to have confidence in the basics of the track, so that you don't overfill them with too much.

Anyway, good work, hope my comments help.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    The hats in the first one you posted lack the snap, there a bit loose, could do with a sharper snare in there too. Just to solidify the groove, as it's there but could just be a bit tighter to carry the track along. Then when the ride does come in, it will lift it instead of keeping it at the same level. And I agree, I would stick with just the female vocal snippets, bit too many popping in here and there. It seems a bit too busy at the moment to let the groove carry the track.

The drums on the second track are a lot tighter, they definitely work well. But again, there's a lot going on in the track, various little synths and noise effects which actually detract from the groove. Strip the track back a bit, work on solidifying the groove, the drums and bass will carry the track.

The third one, get rid of the vocal at the beginning, doesn't work, and leave the intro to run longer before bringing vocals in etc I would say just keep the female vocal sample in, strip back some of the effects in the background during the main bit, the track doesn't need it.

Overall solid efforts, just need to have confidence in the basics of the track, so that you don't overfill them with too much.

Anyway, good work, hope my comments help.
    All good advice, appreciate.

Ideally I'm trying to get into my mates studio (he's South Soul Project - signed to Black Butter) and get a few hours with him to work on the mixdown and help strip it back / tweak it. Think you need to just bring in a pro ear to get that pro sound. All the DJs back in the day used to use engineers (MJ Cole was a big D+B engineer before going alone) and I think that collaboration is the way forward.

He likes the tracks and is gonna play one of em at his gig tonight so i'm gonna go down and see how it drops on a system to a crowd. Could be interesting
    Last edited by MaxOne; 02-14-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Schalenberg

Best of luck, Max. The track was missing something, but I'm no producer and couldn't specify. Solid track, nonetheless. Glad you had these other dudes elaborate. Tell us how it went last night!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast