Looking to start producing again, need advice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Looking to start producing again, need advice.

Hi All, I used to make music a while back, in those days it was all intel cpus, expensive soundcards or external kit, clearly computers have moved on a lot, I'm looking to be making drum and bass, using a computer and an audio interface of some description, I know that I want headphone monitoring, 4 outputs and low latency drivers and the ability to handle 10-20 tracks without drop-out and maybe some dsp handling, can you guys suggest any audio interfaces that I can read up on?

I've had a look at usb, pci, pci-e gear but there are loads of them and they all quote tons of specs which mostly don't mean a great deal in how they cope using various pieces of software. So I'm looking for honest opinions about gear you own, the software you use it with and what it can handle etc.

I don't want to go nuts on on price, so I'm looking at around £150, clearly I'm going to have to make some compromises somewhere along the line, I have a quad core i7 and 12GB of ram so I'm hoping that's going to help things in that respect?

Tech Wizard

Would suggest you to look at the Focusrite Scarlet 2i4. Its quite a decent piece for your budget.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_2i4.htm

A friend uses it & he's quite satisfied with it. Looking at your computer configuration you should be good to go!

Tech Mentor

Thanks Lothar, the scarlett range looks very interesting, I could even be tempted by the 6i6, looks like it could be worth the extra money, for the extra 2 analog inputs + the digital in. The more I look at the 6i6 the more I like it, whilst I wasn't looking for 4 analog inputs, no doubt at some point in the future they'd be handy, I'm more than capable of making my own midi control surfaces too, so I reckon that's a winner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not latching onto the first thing that someone shows me, I have had experience of high quality DSP cards in the past, either the 2i4 or the 6i6 looks superb value for money and feature rich, low latency + direct monitoring and onboard effects, I don't think I actually need to look any further :-)

I'm using the Komplete audio 6. The latency is low enough that I don't really notice it. I don't tend to go crazy on the number of individual tracks (usually around 16) in projects but I can easily get 6-8 plug-ins per track.

One thing to consider with audio interfaces is the converters. The Audio 6 uses 24-bit / 96kHz Cirrus Logic converters which sound wonderful and are generally considered just below the really high end stuff like RME which sports custom "mastering grade" converters. I was using the Presonus firebox but upgraded due to noise problems with my MBP.

All you'll need

499222009_868.jpg

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    I'm using the Komplete audio 6. The latency is low enough that I don't really notice it. I don't tend to go crazy on the number of individual tracks (usually around 16) in projects but I can easily get 6-8 plug-ins per track.

One thing to consider with audio interfaces is the converters. The Audio 6 uses 24-bit / 96kHz Cirrus Logic converters which sound wonderful and are generally considered just below the really high end stuff like RME which sports custom "mastering grade" converters. I was using the Presonus firebox but upgraded due to noise problems with my MBP.
    Wow, Really ?? I mean RME is really high quality stuff so its a little hard for me to believe this. Could anyone confirm if this is true? I'm considering buying a new soundcard. Will defo consider it in this case!

Tech Guru

I have the Focusrite 2i4 and it is a reasonable sound interface for the $$$. The construction feels solid. The inputs are more than clean enough to get usable audio.

The headphone monitoring is good, and the ability to "direct monitor" the mic inputs is REALLY handy for recording vocals or instruments from a mic.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Most of NI's interfaces use Cirrus converters, that part is true. As far as it comparing to RME's converters, I never really thought to A/B them to be honest, but the Cirrius converters are quality none the less.

Tech Mentor

The focusrite ticks all my boxes, then again, it looks like the komplete does too.

Tech Guru

I'm looking into getting a Firewire/Thunderbolt interface at them moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast