Which midi controller should I buy?

Default Which midi controller should I buy?

Hi there! I'm new to the forums and have a question to ask you all. I am currently looking to buy a midi controller to go with my Novation Launchpad S. I have found 2 Possibilities... I need your opinions and advice on which to buy. The two controllers are the Novation Launchkey mini, and the Korg Nanokontrol2.. I figure the launchkey mini is a better choice as it has a keyboard, but the nanokontrol2 has more knobs and faders/controls. Which one should I buy? Let me know . This is my portable setup to bring with me on trips and such without packing a ton.

Thanks,

Patrick (Dj Agek)

Tech Mentor

It depends on what you want to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    It depends on what you want to do with it.
    I will be using it as an effect controller and for keys if I get the launch key...

I realise it's not exactly the same, but I have a Novation SL Mk 2, and I have to say that Automap is sometimes my best friend and sometimes my worst. I'm not sure if the Launchkey series uses Automap? If it does, it's something worth thinking about, if it fits into your style of working etc.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Agek View Post
    I will be using it as an effect controller and for keys if I get the launch key...
    Then it still depends on wether you'd rather have an effects controller or a keyboard. I think the launch key's keys are pretty small and there are lots of other simmilar keyboards out there. Take a look at those.

Default Native Instruments Maschine Studio

Native Instruments Maschine Studio - Hybrid Workstation for Next-gen Music Creation
    -The powerful software you need for modern music production
    -Awesome hardware gives you complete 1-to-1 hands-on control
    -Massive music-production power that fits your rig
    -Runs as a freestanding music system (that hosts VST and AU plug-ins) or as a plug-in in your favorite DAW

I am a producer for multiple genres and find that Maschine has no shortcomings. The abundance of effects and tools it offers makes it he most valuable piece of equipment in my arsenal. I would recommend this as a serious buy for any serious producer.