What should I upgrade too?

Default What should I upgrade too?

Hi
    I have only ever used the Traktor S4\Traktor Pro for my DJing which I use for my gig's. My S4 is starting to show it's age with some of the hot cue buttons needing a sledge hammer to make them work, so it's time for an upgrade, but to what? I've been approached by a couple of clubs to dj for them using their Pioneer equipment but I've declined as I am not confident I know how to use the gear. I've never used a cdj!

Would the Pioneer DDJ-SX help me over come this problem?

The thing I love about the S4 is that it's built around the software, Pioneer have done a similar thing with Serato.

I know Pioneer have an official tsi for the SX so I could still use Traktor Pro but it still not the same as having the controller matching the software?

Is this the time to switch to Serato? Is it now as good\better then Traktor?

My budget is around £1000

Any advice greatly received

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDef View Post
    Hi
    I've been approached by a couple of clubs to dj for them using their Pioneer equipment but I've declined as I am not confident I know how to use the gear. I've never used a cdj!
    HNGHHHH this hurts me just reading it. Should've taken the Gigs anyway or better yet, get yourself an audio interface for Traktor or a rane box and use Timecode CDs and then take the Gigs. CDJs are simple as shit, they're just like your s4 except they have less features, better build quality and bigger jogwheels. But yeah get an interface, that's the next logical step regarding playing out in clubs, you NEED an interface to play out with a laptop and analog hardware.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDef View Post
    Is this the time to switch to Serato? Is it now as good\better then Traktor?
    Switching to Serato (or any other software, actually) won't solve your problem.

As long as you depend on a controller/software combination (especially if you're using sync), you will allways feel uncomfortable playing on CDJs.

If you want to be able to play on CDJs, you should learn how to beatmatch by ear. This can be achieved using anything that offers a pitch-fader and a jogwheel, including your good, old S4. Just turn off sync (tempo sync & beat sync) and practice.

CDJs aren't overly complex, there's basically 4 controls you're going to need for simple mixing: play, cue, jogwheel, pitch-fader. Each of them can be found on almost every controller, which means almost every controller can be used to mimic a CDJs for practicing. Actually, if you're comfortable beatmatching with the short pitch-fader and small jogwheel of most controllers, playing on actual CDJs will probably be even easier.

I'd say you have a number of options:

1. Get any new controller you like. This could even mean replacing your old S4 with a new one. Practice to beatmatch by ear. Get Recordbox, copy your playlists on some USB sticks and you're good to play on any clubs CDJs. If you want to play it save, you could try borrowing/renting a pair of CDJs before your first gig so you can get acustomed to the layout and make sure everything works the way you expected.

2. CDJs 900/2000 over HID control for Traktor. Which means you could basically bring your laptop to the club and use the install CDJs as controllers for Traktor. Of course you need to download the .tsis first, plus you need to download the "CDJ Aggregator" from Pioneer's homepage, which virtually merges the interfaces of the two CDJs into one, so Traktor can use them (for more info see here. Again, getting your hands on a pair of CDJs to see if everything works like it should would be a good idea...

3. Get the timecode upgrade and some timecode CDs.

Options 2 & 3 leave it to you, if you get an additional controller for FX, etc. in Traktor, and if you beatmatch manually or simply map the sync button to the controller (or CDJs in option 2).

4. Around $1000 would get you either a pair of new CDJ 350 oder used CDJ 850. Both models offer all basic functions you will need to learn and practice how to play on CDJs. You could also combine one of these CDJ models with timecode CDs (+ e.g. a Kontrol X1) for more flexibility. What these two models don't offer is HID control.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    2. CDJs 900/2000 over HID control for Traktor. Which means you could basically bring your laptop to the club and use the install CDJs as controllers for Traktor. Of course you need to download the .tsis first
    You don't need TSIs for HID controllers. They're plug and play.

4. Around $1000 would get you either a pair of new CDJ 350 oder used CDJ 850. Both models offer all basic functions you will need to learn and practice how to play on CDJs. You could also combine one of these CDJ models with timecode CDs (+ e.g. a Kontrol X1) for more flexibility. What these two models don't offer is HID control.
    The 350 and 850 are HID controllers, just not with Traktor. They will work through HID in SSL and Cross.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You don't need TSIs for HID controllers. They're plug and play.

The 350 and 850 are HID controllers, just not with Traktor. They will work through HID in SSL and Cross.

^^This man is completely right.

To my defense I have to say I only ever used Traktor myself, and none of the other options. And since I never owned anything better than CDJ 850, I don't have any personal experience of how a HID controller interacts with the software...

Turn off the phase meter as well to learn beat matching. You might want to leave it on to start, but you don't want any crutches by the time you're spinning live on potentially unknown setups and having to beat match solely by ear where you may not have that "crutch".
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Turn off the phase meter as well to learn beat matching. You might want to leave it on to start, but you don't want any crutches by the time you're spinning live on potentially unknown setups and having to beat match solely by ear where you may not have that "crutch".

The best advice would probably be: don't look at the screen at all...
    Last edited by TCMuc; 02-19-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Tech Convert

The best advice would probably be: don't look at the screen at all...
    agreed, but thats the world we live in

Tech Mentor

Consider the xdj r1 as well. Fine unit with the best price value i've seen so far.