How to notice the effect of a compressor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How to notice the effect of a compressor?

Hey guys,

I know compression has been spoken about A LOT! though im still unclear.

Okay i know what all the controls on a compressor are for. For eg i know what a ratio/knee etc does. i know know a compressor reduces the difference between the highest and the lowest peak of a signal so the volume can be raised. i have read up a lot..

Though what i cant get is, i can't seem to hear the effect of a compressor much. now when i say that i mean, when i put on a compressor i dont really know when its effect is too much or too little. Obv, when the make up gain is added it gets louder and when not it get softer. Thats very obvious. Though i know what attack release and all the parameters do, i dont know how to customise them for diff signals. i own the KRK rp8s though cant treat my room (not an option sadly). My technique of compressing is: pull threshold completely down, max attack, min release and then slow start reducing attack and suit everything to need.

Whats your technique and what would you advice me?

I have some audio examples that might help in my guide here:

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/DynamicsControl.pdf

One obvious tip, you probably know is to make sure you have the meter set to show your gain reduction.

I'm going to out on a limb here and say that sometimes not hearing the effects of compression can be a good thing. If you're seeing the GR meter bump down a few dbs and you're not really hearing any effect on the sound, you've got some nice "transparent" compression - meaning you've leveled the sound without any noticeable side effects and you've given other elements in the mix more room.

As far as technique I do pretty much the same as you. I start with a slow attack (especially with drums) so I don't squash the transients, and a 1:2 ratio and listen to the dynamics. I adjust attack if I need more or less transients, release if I want the compression to sit better with the rhythm of the track. Ratio up or down depending on how mush dynamics I want preserve on the original signal. I start with a pretty aggressive threshold so I can hear the compression in a very dramatic way and then adjust it to be more subtle when I've got the other settings more or less right, then repeat until I get what I want.

Tech Wizard

That's sort of the point of "good" compression, you're not supposed to hear it.

You and Nick V have the basics down, but I want to point out an important aspect. First off, I listen. Once you get accustomed enough to mixing you get a grasp (a feel) for how you want to apply compression when needed. There's no real proper formula to compression as the "why" and "how" change with every application.

That being said, there's obviously some methodology to it, which you sort of figure out for yourself. I personally start with the attack and release before even engaging the compressor. I do this because if I turn it on, roll down the threshold and the attack/release are in wonky pre-settings or set to the absolute fastest time, it's going to sound unnatural right off the bat, which is like starting with a messy canvas (IMO).
    So I set the attack/release in a neutral area (usually somewhere between 2 and 4 o'clock, 5 being fastest time), turn on the compressor and slowly roll down the threshold. At this point I can hear the compressor working, and I'll set the threshold a a little lower than I'm planning on using. By now I probably hear what I like/don't like, and will adjust the attack and release accordingly.

Attack/Release settings require the most thought. Going back to my first point, based on what you heard and what you're looking to achieve you only need to translate that interest into the right settings. General examples would be:
    - Transients are out of control: Fast attack/Fast Release
    - Resonance/Energy needs taming (vocals for instance): Slower attack/Fast-ish Release
    - Needs more punch: Fast-ish attack(letting first transients through)/Medium Release
    (Again just very crude general examples, don't use these as guides)

Once I have the settings close to what I want I roll the threshold back up to a more reasonable point. As a rule of thumb I try to never start compressing over 4dB's gain reduction. Then I perform another crucial step: listening again. Dial in the make-up to where the level is the same as pre-compression and turn the compressor on/off (bypass). Usually I can clearly hear what changes I've made and then I just ask myself: "Is this what I wanted?" No, keep making adjustments, Yes, done. When I work like this I generally just fine-tune a little and end up rolling back the threshold more usually. If you really check to hear what's going on you'd be amazed by how much a compressor is doing, even when used slightly. Which is why you always see rookies compress the hell out everything.

Obviously you can use a compressor as an effect as well, but that's completely different. Usually you're trying to overdrive the circuits which distorts the track and can add drastic pumping/ducking depending on attack/release settings. (Though you'll get that either way if you're using improper settings).

All in all, compression is tricky, as you really need to focus and train your eyes to understand what's happening. But as you keep doing it you'll get a feel for it. Just remember to always listen and reference check, 'cause that's really the only way to learn and retain your experience.

Tech Mentor

Interesting! Thank you for explaining your process in good detail. This will definitely help and ill consider your points while compressing the next time.

Tech Guru

For "bad compression" this contains one of the more "obvious" examples of the effect that I have found. Listen at "moderate to high" volume levels on reasonable headphones or speakers....

Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

Okay guys, thanks for all the help and tips. I just completed the mixdown of my track and all your advice has helped me a lot. I have a headroom of 5.56 db left. Would you please give it a listen and let me know how the mix is? I haven't yet mastered it so its low in volume. I believe this is my best mix until now but i'm not a pro yet. This is my 14th track. Thank you.

I thought the high hats, crash, and that squeeky noise were a touch bright. Low end is a touch light, you could beef that up some. Overall it's got instrument to instrument balance and lots of good definition, but not much warmth, like all the lower mids were high-passed out. A little less highs and little more lows should sort it out.

Tech Mentor

Haha yes i agree. As a matter of fact i too, was contemplating the hats...and about the low end too, but in the end of it i just got too frustrated trying to balance it all out and settled for this. I tried hard to get in some low mids but i guess i just had some missing elements there. I generally use the vintage warmer 2 (presets), camel phat or klanghelm sdrr for some warmth to a signal. Any other cool suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by sagar4848 View Post
    Haha yes i agree. As a matter of fact i too, was contemplating the hats...and about the low end too, but in the end of it i just got too frustrated trying to balance it all out and settled for this. I tried hard to get in some low mids but i guess i just had some missing elements there. I generally use the vintage warmer 2 (presets), camel phat or klanghelm sdrr for some warmth to a signal. Any other cool suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
    My favorite tool for boosting low mids is the Pultec. I use the waves version but I've heard the UAD version and it's even better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast