Going from Live to CDJs...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going from Live to CDJs...

Right now im performing out of Live and I love it. I really do. But I feel like less of a man because I have never had to learn how to beat match. Im pretty sure I have lost a few inches of little William because of it. That being said, im looking to pick up some CDJs just to learn how to beatmatch. I do not plan on taking them anywhere or beating on them so I was wondering if I could go the super cheap route. Does anyone think going with some gemini cdj700s is really stupid? I would REALLY like to stay under 1k usd for a set of cdjs. Any cdj guys have any suggestions or thoughts?

Tech Guru

Do you specifically need CDJs? The DDJ SX has the same layout and doesn't cost too much.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I have lots of nice controllers. Im trying to get away from them to practice.

Don't do it. If you get on fine with Live, stick with it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Have a look at some second hand listings for CDJ 850s or SC 2900s if you need USB for your music.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Don't do it. If you get on fine with Live, stick with it.
    Yea, I love performing out of live but it gets to the point where I dont feel you are "DJing", thats kind of why I want to learn some stuff on the CDJs.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Have a look at some second hand listings for CDJ 850s or SC 2900s if you need USB for your music.
    I have looked at used and im not opposed to it. I dont know how old I would go with pio CDJs. I have read alot about sticking with 900s or later. But even used pio 900s will run WELL over 1k for 2...

Tech Mentor

I own a XDJ-R1. You can't use it for DVS, but it is stand-alone like any two-channel CDJ/DJM-setup. It cost me about 450€ used which is less than $1000. I love the unit, because it is by far the best deal with Rekordbox-compability. I see only three possible reasons why you might want other gear:
    1. If you don't need rekordbox and pioneer quality than there is more powerful and/or cheaper gear by other brands than pioneer for less than $1000
    2. The pitch faders are not the best (a bit too short) , though you get used to them after a while.
    3. Only two channels and not really able to upgrade (can be used as a standalone mixer though).

There are some more aspects why people sometimes recommend 350s or 400s (eg. loop control - you only have auto beat loop on the XDJ-R1), but I'd go with the XDJ-R1 over one of them. (XDJ has hot cues a sampler, more effects than its competitors, etc.)

Pioneer CDJ 800's, Stanton CMP800's, SC 2900's & Gemini CDJ700's are all perfectly good for learning to beatmatch if you want a CD player. I went for the Stantons purely because my local DJ store had a deal on them. The good thing about the stantons/Denons/Gemini's is that they are all midi mappable I believe so I mapped my stantons in Traktor so that I'm not having to continually burn CD's or format USB sticks.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

If you learn to beat-match, it might give you a better appreciation of the power of Live.

Live is a humongous MONSTER and if they ever implement decent timezone/DVS I'll wet my pants.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Thanks for the input till and kooper.

Patch, I couldnt agree with Ill.gates more, "I would brush my teeth with Ableton if I could..."

I appreciate it a lot...

I was just looking at something like this:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msd/4348463076.html

granted the speakers are not worth much to me, for $960 its hard to go wrong with 2 cdjs and a 4 channel mixer. Again, just for practice purposes.

Parties will remain to be performed with live, ohmrgb and a MF....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast