Are we to blame for the state of the dance music industry ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'll get around to reading it when I can, but I can't help but think things are probably off to a bad start when you refer to it as an 'Industry'.
    It's sad but it is an Industry now, Wish we could call it a community rather. Times have changed, We will have to get over it. Leaving this debate aside, We can still have a better industry to work in. Can't We ?

yes, you all are

Tech Wizard

My 2 Cents.

We have created a generation of narcissistic people who gauge success from likes, plays and hype, rather than success measured in knowledge, skill, and respect by pushing boundaries. It is a vicious circle with each trying to out do each other, whilst systematically pissing us off, calling them out and thus fuelling the fire
    1) I dont see this to be intended as a Commercial vs Underground debate, Thats an endless discussion. Now if we leave the commercial aspect aside & talk about the underground I like to see this as a, say for example, Richie Hawtin vs Some Underground DJ who nobody has heard off & probably plays better music than Richie Hawtin. I'm sure there are hundred's.

PS : I Love Hawtin!

2) I think this article was intended to raise the standards of the industry in general. I can't comment about the scene outside my country but atleast the way the scene here in India is that everyone is just following hypes (I'm talking about the little underground community we have here, Leave the commercial scene aside). Let's start with the younger batch of Dj's. We have quite a bunch of House & techno dj's playing decent underground music, but what they do is just follow tracklists of guys like Richie Hawtin, Dubfire etc & play tunes in an exact/similar order. They only wear black Tees(They think Black is the so called "Techno Color"), They openly copy effect & mixing styles of big named dj's. This is just a small example I pointed. This should not happen. These Dj's should not copy someone because its "cool", they should work hard, try to find their own sound, get creative & promote themselves in a new/alternative manner. Now this is upto the senior dj's to raise the bar & educate the younger one's about finding their own sound rather than copy others sets, getting creative when it comes to promotion & blah blah blah. The younger ones look up to the senior dj's as their idols, they listen to their advice. Its understandable, the younger one's don't have a direction, they will obviously follow hypes, even i was one of them. If the senior dj's take a step to set a standard the younger ones will defo follow which will result in a better scene. This is a huge problem in the Indian Scene, There's no standards being maintained. Its not only about the music, its about the event, the experience, the way they promote them, their artwork, their vision, the language they use etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, all I can say is if that is really what the writer thinks, maybe he should get out of his bubble and go to one of those nights that still exist in 'Basements, Dirty Clubs and Back Paddocks' and embrace a world that still sees the term 'Underground' as an ethos instead of a marketing gimmick, music as something more than a commodity, and community as something other than a commercial opportunity.
    Genuinely asking, How many of these still exist ? A scene which was like the older days, Only about the music & No fucking hype at all!

Hmm, im not too sure. It would seem the article is pitched at small percentage of people who are in this 'industry' everyone keeps banging on about, and it would seem these are the only people that the 'state of the scene' bothers.

For the meantime though, i'm just going to have a mix and swap some tunes. Boom.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

I turn 30 in June, and I think I've been hearing this same boring madlib on the state of music since I was a teen - all these years later same stupid moaning just fill in the blanks

People need to relax and just enjoy the music!!!!

If you dont like it go somewhere else or create your own, If you do like it stay and spread the word.

Is DJTT not a community then?!
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

The scene I consider myself involved in - west coast hippie/burner Ghetto Funk Glitch Bass Music etc - doesn't really suffer from these problems and frankly I ignore the more "mainstream" stuff. There is so much amazing music released everyday and there are so many amazing DJs playing it out that I have nothing to complain about.

If you want to blame someone blame MAX MARTIN, he controls the direction of the top 40 music industry. and he has been since the early 90's.

Dont know who that is....google his name, you'll soon find out he is responsible for pretty much every song you hear on the radio.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12