Beat Boxer - simple tagging tool for beatport

Default Beat Boxer - simple tagging tool for beatport

Hi there everyone!

Let me introduce myself first - My name is David (aka Chris Rockwood), I am a "novice" web developer, technologies enthusiast and a DJ for sure.

For the past few weeks I was working on my side project called Beat Boxer - it is a FREE simple nifty app to help you tag your music with the extensive library of beatport. I know there is Trainspotter and others, but Beat Boxer is just about tagging and simplicity.

And I am very happy to announce, that today I am releasing first public alfa build, that works!

How it works?
    Simply drag and drop your tracks in the "Drop you tracks here" area. Click the track you want to tag and it gets automatically searched over Beatport. Select the correct track in the results and lastly the green Apply button - viola the metadata and new cover art was written to the track.

For the tech savvy
    Beat Boxer is build using node-webkit - with standard web technologies like HTML,JS,CSS and node.js in the background. For reading metadata it rely on open source node.js library called music meta data and for writing ffmetadata which provide bindings to ffmpeg library.

The source code to Beat Boxer is available here.
    If there is anyone willing to help (polish the code, upgrade the code, make the app perform faster, anything), please do, I'll be very happy. However please contact me if you are going to fork the repo, one crucial thing is missing due to security reasons.

What does and what does not work and what is missing?
    Well this is the first public alpha build, so there are bugs. You are responsible for your own music, but as far as my tests had proven, it is absolutely safe.

+Read/Write Support for metadata
    +Read/Write support for cover arts

-some times the app fails to retrieve data from beatport and crashes
    -if there is already an cover art, the new one will be appended (workaround - delete all cover arts in iTunes before you tag)
    -no settings!!! all the tags (artist, album artist, album, release, label, genre, bpm) will be replaced
    -no multiplatform support (only mac osx for now)
    -it is big

Please, if you find ANY bugs (even those mentioned above) report them here, so I can track them.

You can download Beat Boxer here. (Mac OS X only!!!)

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by CrissC; 03-06-2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Link updated

Zipped and reuploaded the app, should work nicely now.

Hi There again everyone!

I have updated the app - fixed most of the known critical bugs!
    -fixed a bug where only one file of a bunch was receiving tags
    -fixed app crash when there was no artist in the beatport response
    -fixed app crash when the query was too long and beatport returned error

-add some more styling to distinguish selected tracks
    -added app icon

Here is the download link.