From Ableton to Traktor
    Tech Convert

Default From Ableton to Traktor

Hey guys, I have been switching from Ableton to Traktor for 2 weeks now in order to mix in a local bar. I'm getting better but I still have a couple (lots) of questions so if you can help me it would be very (a lot) appreciated.

1. I have a hard time with my phrasing. On ableton it was very easy to phrase since the clip would launch on the next beat. On traktor, I try to press play at the exact same time and sync (my beatgrid is perfectly alligned) but it's not perfectly alligned all the time and I don't know how to catch up. Right now I would put a cue, look at beats to cue and I would press play when both track are at example -8.4.4 so both cues hit at the same time but if I don't hit and sync perfectly the phrasing is not right.

2. This one is about the beatgrid, I am able to adjust my beatgrid with trial and error and I really wonder what was the difference between the 2 arrows (pointing left and right) on the top and bottom row. I know both adjust beatgrid but I don't know the difference.

3. I have a question regarding the transitions. If you take for example the Krewella troll mix volume 3 https://soundcloud.com/krewella/troll-mix-vol-3-makeout , I understand they do mix on downbeat and there are no really beatmatching, but how can it be so fluid? If I try to do these transitions myself we would clearly hear the volume fader. On ableton I had home made fader, so when I would end track A I could manually hit the fader clip instead of reducing the track volume.

4. Concerning equipment, right now I am using an hercules mk4 with an apc40 for my cues. It is very confusing mapping. I am looking into an s2 or s4 but for now I found it a bit expensive. Any suggestions? I would like something with my cues/jog/mixer in the same stuff.

Lastly, any general mixing/transitions for bar djing would be appreciated! I used to do some 1 mins transitions with loops and stuff but apparently it's not the way to go. Right now, I would simply loop for example, the intro of the track A intro the drop of the track B and would trigger the verse or breakdown of the track A when the drop of the track B would finish. I am also looking for a way to fade tracks instead of reducing the volume which sounds to brutal to me.

Thanks a lot! it's very appreciated and hopefully you guys can understand me!

Quote Originally Posted by pomL View Post
    Hey guys, I have been switching from Ableton to Traktor for 2 weeks now in order to mix in a local bar. I'm getting better but I still have a couple (lots) of questions so if you can help me it would be very (a lot) appreciated.

1. I have a hard time with my phrasing. On ableton it was very easy to phrase since the clip would launch on the next beat. On traktor, I try to press play at the exact same time and sync (my beatgrid is perfectly alligned) but it's not perfectly alligned all the time and I don't know how to catch up. Right now I would put a cue, look at beats to cue and I would press play when both track are at example -8.4.4 so both cues hit at the same time but if I don't hit and sync perfectly the phrasing is not right.

2. This one is about the beatgrid, I am able to adjust my beatgrid with trial and error and I really wonder what was the difference between the 2 arrows (pointing left and right) on the top and bottom row. I know both adjust beatgrid but I don't know the difference.

3. I have a question regarding the transitions. If you take for example the Krewella troll mix volume 3 https://soundcloud.com/krewella/troll-mix-vol-3-makeout , I understand they do mix on downbeat and there are no really beatmatching, but how can it be so fluid? If I try to do these transitions myself we would clearly hear the volume fader. On ableton I had home made fader, so when I would end track A I could manually hit the fader clip instead of reducing the track volume.

4. Concerning equipment, right now I am using an hercules mk4 with an apc40 for my cues. It is very confusing mapping. I am looking into an s2 or s4 but for now I found it a bit expensive. Any suggestions? I would like something with my cues/jog/mixer in the same stuff.

Lastly, any general mixing/transitions for bar djing would be appreciated! I used to do some 1 mins transitions with loops and stuff but apparently it's not the way to go. Right now, I would simply loop for example, the intro of the track A intro the drop of the track B and would trigger the verse or breakdown of the track A when the drop of the track B would finish. I am also looking for a way to fade tracks instead of reducing the volume which sounds to brutal to me.

Thanks a lot! it's very appreciated and hopefully you guys can understand me!
    Hey.

1) Turn Snap and Quantize on (the S and Q buttons). This ensures that when you hit play it only starts on the next beat. Therefore you can hit play anytime between 2 beats and it will always snap to the next beat.

2) the double arrows at the top move the entire beatgrid left or right. the distance between each grid marker remains the same. The single arrows below adjust the BPM so the grid stays anchored to the first beat but the spaces between the grid markers expand or contract.

3) I didnt listen to this so someone else will have to answer.

4) There are a plethora of 2channel/4 channel controllers on the market. They all offer what you are looking for at differing price points. work out your budget and then research those that fall into this category. Whatever your budget is you will find that most of the controllers at that price point are much of a muchness.

Hope this helps
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Guru

Yea... I don't know how people mix Traktor with an APC40. It's so confusing.

As far as the Krewella mix goes, it really comes down to song selection and making sure they're perfect matches when you're dropping tracks in suddenly so it doesn't sound like any mixing is really go on, and the need to EQ is minimal.

I really dislike when Krewella sings live, but they're good at those transitions that you stated.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Mentor

There are a number of free templates out there for Traktor and the APC40. You can try and find one you like. Mapping it out yourself is not the easiest thing to do, I have discovered, but with patients you can do it. Me I picked up an X1 + F1 + CMD MM-1 and that required very little tweaks to get it to all work exactly as I want. As far as transitions if you mix on the vocal break (or any break where the drums drop out) on the next track you don't run into a clash in drums. So you don't have to beatmatch per-se though I'd think you'd still want to come in on the downbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by pomL View Post
    I am also looking for a way to fade tracks instead of reducing the volume which sounds to brutal to me.
    Are you EQ mixing the tracks at all? Instead of just mixing with volume faders...?

You have to excuse my Traktor ignorance as I dont use it but check out the fade 2 grey filter in Ableton Live then see if you can find something just like it for Traktor. Its very handy when mixing 2 tracks.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post

I really dislike when Krewella sings live, but they're good at those transitions that you stated.
    Do you like them as a group at all? I have seen them live and they are REALLY good live. Super fun.

Tech Mentor

Instead of just plain fade in and out try EQ and/or filtering to a similar effect. That's the better way to mix, IMHO, than straight fade in and out.

Lol, you just re-worded exactly what I said...

Tech Mentor

Yes but I said it without Traktor ignorance....Lol. I kid. But yeah...I could hear some frequency clashes in that mix by Krewella. Just like in Time Cop you can't have the same thing in two separate instances occupying the same space at the same time without something going boom.

Tech Convert

Hye guys, thanks for all the replies, very informative! I do use EQ (only the lows for now) and obviously I still need practice. It's kinda harder than it looks.

I'm going to try the fader fx! In fact, I haven't really used them yet other than a bit of beatmasher.

I also do like Krewella, not my favorite group but I found them very entertaining and their dj set are cool to listen