Speakers for College House Parties

Default Speakers for College House Parties

New here so I may be posting in the wrong section, but if someone could point me the right way it would be much appreciated.

My roommates and I are moving into a new house next school year and I am trying to get us an effective set of speakers. From looking around it seems like tower/DJ speakers are our best bet. Being college kids we have been searching on craiglist and such and I have found these two that seem promising:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/ele/4304652889.html
    http://dayton.craigslist.org/ele/4319348892.html

Anybody have an idea if these would be suitable. Main room is probably 15' by about 30'. We would be playing mostly dance stuff and 90' connected from an Ipod, Ipone, or laptop. Also if I were to buy these what is my best way to power them. If these two aren't our best options what should we be looking for. We are hoping to keep cost under $300 if possible. Thanks for the help

if your gonna be using them for parties, i would personally skip the home entertainment style speakers. they are not meant to be pushed, volume wise.

i recommend looking for a pair of used mackie thump 15s. i picked up a used pair a few years back for $400, and they are still pumping today. they were perfect for house parties when i was in college, plenty of low end for a living room, and will get plenty loud. if you want to go larger later, you can add a powered sub, like i did. Also, the things are built like tanks. mine were tossed around, dropped, thrown in the back of a truck, etc, and still sound the same as when i picked them up. anyways good luck man

Tech Convert

Awww the good old days. Just a warning be careful what you buy on craigslist. Always Always test them before buying them! You might get some blown speakers. My advice since it will be used in plenty of parties, is buy the cheapest ones you can. Cuz most likely they will blow, get stolen, have beer spilled all over them, etc etc. I have a pair of Yamaha highs that I use to use for parties, and they are beat. My professional set up are some self powered jbls but thats not what you want.