I'm confused about platter functions on my controller. Please help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm confused about platter functions on my controller. Please help.

Hello.

So I have 3 different DJ software and this problem is common to all of them. I guess refer to Traktor 2.6 for any tips you guys might give.

I want to use the platters to do tempo changes but they seem to only change pitch. When I let them go, the tempo returns to what it was before. I want it to stay changed. How can I do this? I'm using a Denon MC-3000 as my controller.

Something that confuses me even more is this: If I use only the platters to match tempo in house music, the two tracks stay synced. If I do it on drum and bass, the two tracks drift apart and rather quickly. What's going on here? These are not tracks ripped from vinyl, so there should be no tempo fluctuations in the tracks itself.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

I could be wrong, but I don't think you are trolling. So I'll try to shed some light on things for you.

Think of the platters like a turntable. Touching the top is like touching a record on a turntable, touching the side will slow down or speed up the turntable temporarily, to change how fast the turntable spins you change the pitch fader.

In order for the tracks to stay in time, you have to match the BPMs by changing the position of the pitch fader. The majority of house tracks are 128 BPM, so you were probably mixing songs with the same BPM already. Traktor will tell you the BPM if you analyze your tracks, some tracks may already have the BPM info in their tags.

Yes but what I am saying is I want it to NOT work like a turntable. Also the house tracks are not all the same tempo and it works as I described. I want the speed to stay the way I have adjusted it with the platter.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaptic Flow View Post
    Also the house tracks are not all the same tempo and it works as I described.
    Are the House tracks close in tempo? I would tend to think that is the case. If so using the side of the platter you are matching up the beats, but they will drift after awhile. The further apart the BPM the quicker tracks will drift out of phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaptic Flow View Post
    I want the speed to stay the way I have adjusted it with the platter.
    When you use the platter, you are not permanently adjusting the actual BPM or speed. You are temporarily changing the speed to match the beats. I understand what you are asking for, but it doesn't work the way you want it to. Most(if not all?) DJ software is set up to work like a turntable.

On the other hand, there are DJ's who just use the pitch fader to beat match and get the BPMs the same. You could map the pitch fader to the platter, but it will not act the same way the platter does currently so there would be a bit of trial and error with the jog settings to see if you could make it work for you.

You need to either map the jogwheels/platters to do the work of the pitch control of the controller, which seems kinda pointless since you already have something that controls the overall pitch/tempo of the song in the pitch fader. The jogwheels/platters can "nudge" the song so that you can get the tempos synched, but they won't stay that way without first getting the tempos synched with the pitch faders.

Someone more qualified can describe how you might be able to map the jogs to control the overall song tempos, but then you'll lose the ability to nudge which you'll need if you're manually beat matching.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

If you want nudge by side and do tempo changes when scratching one modifier can do the trick.

Map to jog touch: Modifier 1 / type=button / interaction=hold / value=1

Now each time you press and release the jogwheel the modifier value should change from 0 to 1.

Set M=0 to your "Jog Turn" condition
    Set M=1 to the "Tempo Adjust" condition

Add In > Deck Common > Tempo Adjust / type=encoder / interaction=relative (test both of encoder modes - one should work for your jogwheels)

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

And don't forget to assign to deck

Thanks Stewe! That sounds awesome! And to everyone else, here's the thing...

I like to mix song intros (meaning atmosphere and pad intros) not just beat on beat. The platters seem to let me adjust way faster than the pitch faders do. I basically need the songs synced in seconds and I'm determined to not use the sync button. So if my questioned sounded odd to some of you, this is the reason why.

Now I suppose making some kind of sensitivity changes to my pitch faders would then give me the same advantage, but as they are now, It can take me a lengthy amount of movement, plus 7 or 8 readjustments to get the fader to land at the tempo I want. I almost wish the fader was notched or had a very heavy pull weight because I would like to be able to move it in single number increments.

So that's that and hopefully everyone understands what I'm trying to accomplish now.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I almost wish the fader was notched or had a very heavy pull weight because I would like to be able to move it in single number increments.
    1. What % range are you currently using ?

2. You could always use a modifier to create a "fine pitch" mode of 3% for use when you are close to the correct speed.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    1. What % range are you currently using ?

2. You could always use a modifier to create a "fine pitch" mode of 3% for use when you are close to the correct speed.
    Hey! I'm not home right now to check, but I am pretty sure within the software I am already using the smallest range possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast