White noise coming out of monitor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default White noise coming out of monitor

So I've got a pair of Behringer Truth B2030A motniors and sometimes, there is white noise and/or crackling coming out of one of them. Turning it off and on again does not help, the noise just randomly disappears after some time. I had them for a few months (second hand, but hardly any use before me) before the problem occurred.

I've tried swapping the power leads and swapping the L/R channels, but neither helped. I have this problem both through my mixer and my audio interface.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and consequently, how I could fix it?

Sounds like potentially a ground loop? Are you using RCA cables to the monitors or balanced cables? If balanced, try a ground loop isolator? If not balanced, switch to balanced cables. There are plenty of discussions here and in the googlesphere that discuss these and potential remedies.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Guru

Unless I'm terribly mistaken about the definition of a ground loop, it definitely doesn't sound like one. It kind of sounds like a record which has finished playing, but with a bit more white noise. I'm not sure if the description is easy to understand, I should probably make a recording.
    Also, I'm using an RCA(interface/mixer) to XLR(monitors) cable.

Sample it m8 and send it to me

Tech Mentor

Probably a bad lead.

Tech Guru

I doubt it's a bad lead because it's always the same monitor which makes the noise, no matter which channel it's playing/which power lead it's using.

Tech Guru

I forgot to mention that after I turn off the monitor, the limit light flashes for a moment if it has been making noise. Could it be a problem with the amplifier?

Tech Wizard

I had this problem with one of my Yamaha HS80's. Problem was that I had my computer's transformer* (the box thing...) touching one of the monitor's power leads. Try isolating the lead maybe?
    Last edited by aseckel; 03-06-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Record it and call the track "Disclosure"

I used to have this issue, As said it would only be from one speaker...

Apparently its something to do with a digital sound being converted to analogue or some shit... don't ask me but it was something to do with ground looping.. Cut of the ground pin on the laptop charger, and no more issues. Although it made it a bugger to plug the plug in. Ended up plugging the laptop charger into a 4 way extension and leaving it there and then having a spare kettle lead for home use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast