New Headphones, Earplugs or IEM's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New Headphones, Earplugs or IEM's

Hi Guys,

Reading on the forums how dangerous hard sounds can be for a dj,
    I decided to buy a set of earplugs (the ones dj techtools provide from V-MODA)
    I have an HDJ-500 pair of headphones, and when I use my plugs i notice 2 things,

1. after a short time, my ears start too hurt from the headphones pressing against the plugs.

2. When using earplugs I know you're losing some sound, but I get the feeling whenever i try mixing with my earplugs in, I need to turn the volume up really loud, to be able to hear what I'm doing. Questioning if i need to set the volume so high, are the earplugs usefull..

I really want to mix with some kind of protection for my ears, but here's what im wondering about,

Are the earplugs good enough, or should i get some others? Do I just need other headphones to make it comfertable? Or should i go right away for IEM's?

I have a budget of around €120,-

How do you guys feel about this?

Tech Wizard

You never stated why you wear earplugs for mixing. I understand wearing them in the crowd where the PA is full force but not for mixing. I have never seen a DJ use plugs while mixing.

If you want protection while mixing I assume IEM's will be your best bet. I have never used them though so can't help you there, but I haven't had any problems with my HDJ2000s.
    Last edited by DJkl; 03-07-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DJkl View Post
    You never stated why you wear earplugs for mixing. I understand wearing them in the crowd where the PA is full force but not for mixing. I have never seen a DJ use plugs while mixing.
    My bad, i will try to explain it more.

At home I don't use earplugs either, it's more for gigs in Clubs and so. You don't use earplugs when your mixing in a club?

Tech Guru

The V Moda plugs don't give much attenuation (only 12dB). Alpine plugs might be more comfortable, or you could have a look at IEMs for additional isolation.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

In this case the cheaper route is the better route. Look up 3M Tekk earplugs. That are super cheap and super comfortable. They are rated to attenuate at 32 db. Since they are squishy they work good with other headphones over them.

If your in the US you can get them at home improvment stores. Home depot, menards, ace, etc.

Tech Mentor

Just buy these: http://www.acscustom.com/nl/index.ph...136&Itemid=107

And when you've saved up some more money get some of these: http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.ph..._category_id=2

Tech Guru

17dB isn't much protection either, especially for a club PA system.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Mentor

Your ears are made for about 84-85 dB. If you have a club that constantly goes over 102-103 dB everyone would go deaf. There are loads of moments when the music is less loud so these should do just fine I think

The cheap ones go to 19 btw

Tech Guru

Most people in clubs don't wear plugs, and the levels near the speakers will be well above 100dBA, so there are plenty of people going deaf already.

You don't want to be on the edge of hearing damage on a regular basis (80-85dBA) so it would be safer to go with something more substantial for a club environment.

Tech Mentor

Could you tell me what your solution is? What do you wear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast