Controversial Traktor Scratch hack featured on DJTT blog - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I'd be surprised DJTT didn't get the all clear from NI over this article. Why would they burn their bridges over one article?
    I really can't imagine NI is fine with this.

One reason is that the manufacturers of scratch certified mixers can't be happy with this.

These companies are paying license fees to NI so they can include an exklusive feature to their mixers. If now also user of mixers that are not scratch certified and who's manufacturers aren't paying NI can use the exact same feature the manufacturers who do pay fees probably are mad...

If I were paying NI for the scratch certification of my mixer(s), I would force them to close the breach in the software that enables that hack as quick as possible, otherwise I would simply stop paying the fees and not bother getting my future mixers certified at all, and maybe even rather seek a cooperation with serato.

Tech Mentor

If you pay for the scratch pro software then you should get the same features (if you hardware can handle it) as the next guy, whether your tool of choice cost you $1000 or was built into your PC, NI should give everyone the same features, then it's up to them whether they give tech support for non-standard/certified kit, then people wouldn't need to 'steal' it.

Serato do similar with controllers, cheap controllers haven't got the same resolution on pitch faders etc. as the more expensive ones, traktor wins out here because it's highly configurable via midi mapping so you can overcome any limitations in the hardware, serato on the other hand with a $200 controller is an expensive toy if you want to beatmatch and don't want to be touching the platter the whole mix.

Tech Guru

You need to buy a certified mixer or interface to "buy" the Scratch software. Paying for the timecode kit and hacking it is about as justified as downloading the demo and hacking it into Traktor Pro.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

By the way, it looks like NI may have stopped the "Traktor Scratch Certified Mixer" program. They've removed the list from their website. I wonder if a Z4 (or equivalent) will be launching soon.

When I was at NAMM I talked to the Allen & Heath guys, they designed the DB4 to be Traktor Scratch Certified & really wanted that feature. NI was the one who declined the offer (I dunno why?!)... I know it's not totally relevant, but the mixer manufacturers do want this kind of functionality. In this case it's NI who's being picky. I wish they would just open it up to most high end mixers.

When the S2 mkii was released they used Mad Zach and Ean helped design the S4 etc etc. DJTT and NI are tight trust me.

DJTT wouldn't burn their bridges... this site has done plenty to promote traktor and sells traktor products etc legit.

DJTT and NI are not idiots. First thing they'd have thought is how this article would affect their future relationship with NI.

No way they'd spunk that up the wall for some traffic spike to the site.

If you got a cracked copy of traktor scratch pro... you got a crack anyway... this is just one more hack in a line of hacks.

If you got traktor scratch legit you got the hardware already so nothing is being stolen, you're just using another bit of your own kit to do the same job.

If NI really cared about this DJTT would not have posted it as far as im concerned.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

How do you know what they would and wouldn't do? I doubt the whole team had a say in whether this article got posted, and it's likely only the author saw it beforehand.

The article is just a repost of a Reddit discussion anyway, just like so many tech blogs and news networks do.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Makar1, what do you make of the removal of the certified mixer list from NI's site, if anything? Do you think NI could be changing their business model in regards to timecode functionality? This may have given a higher profile blog like DJTT the confidence to post the hack, although it has been widely available for a long time.

Tech Guru

I'd say it's similar to the lack of Traktor Ready controllers - NI are closing the market from other manufacturers to push their own hardware.

The pricing change suggests there will only be 1 version in future, and timecode will be unlocked simply by having a Traktor sound card, in a similar way to Serato DJ. I can't really see them opening it to all audio interfaces.

As for the blog post, I think the author just happened to be browsing reddit.com/r/DJs and saw a post with a lot of activity. It's interesting that none of the other DJ blogs have posted anything similar.

I'll be FUCKING LIVID if NI closes any future software to current scratch certified mixers.

And I'll be first in line to use a cracked version of this future software.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast