Controversial Traktor Scratch hack featured on DJTT blog - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
    True on outputs, but most mic ins are mono, so combined that's still a single phono stereo in. IIRC DVS does not like mono in. (and i have no idea how many MBs can remap line level ins to phono/mic level ins). Also how many people bring their desktop's to gigs? All and all still doesn't seem like an issue, for what is a huge plus for licensed TSP owners.
    Line in is a stereo input, and the two mic inputs make the 2nd stereo input.

Gigs will most likely either have a Scratch certified mixer like the DJM850/900, or an older DJM or Xone mixer which will require a sound card. Where does this "huge plus" come into play?

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    NI could recognize this demand and provide a legitimate option to pay to unlock a "non-certified" mixer.
    The very reason NI lock timecode to their hardware is to try and get people to actually purchase something from them, rather than pirating their software and getting everything free.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

My argument isn't that it's "right" to use the hack instead of buying NI hardware. My argument is that there is clearly a demand to use alternative audio interfaces with Scratch, and that many will likely use the hack instead of adding additional hardware (and unnecessary routing) to their rig. NI could recognize this demand and provide a legitimate option to pay to unlock an "non-certified" mixer.

Clearly there is nothing inherently special about the technology in a certified mixer beyond its guaranteed compatibility (as this hack proves). NI could please its customers and get a piece of the revenue by charging an upgrade fee that wasn't dependent on a hardware dongle.
    I agree with you. This seems like a huge opportunity for NI to sell lots more TSP licenses/upgrades for something that hasn't required much in development costs.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Line in is a stereo input, and the two mic inputs make the 2nd stereo input.
    Line level in and phono/mic level in are 2 different beasts. Again who brings a desktop to gigs?

Gigs will most likely either have a Scratch certified mixer like the DJM850/900, or an older DJM or Xone mixer which will require a sound card. Where does this "huge plus" come into play?
    Again the user assumes all risk. If a DJ wants to put their reputation on the line for an unsupported hack, so be it. And the Xone92/DB2/DB4 are pretty popular. DJs are already bringing a sound card. If they show up and see a USB mixer and want to go for it without using the sound card, great! Again I don't see any harm what so ever.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    The bottom line is, if you have purchased Traktor Scratch Pro legally and have a scratch certified sound card, you really aren't doing much wrong as all you'd have to do is plug in the sound card. But you have that anyway... Do you see what I'm saying?
    Again it's the main selling point of buying a scratch certified mixer over a non certified, ease of use. You don't have to plug in your soundcard. It's enough of a hassle that people use a potentionally unstable hack to eliminate having to do that. I understand that you may own a Traktor soundcard, and a legit version of scratch pro, and even if there wasn't a hack you wouldn't pay for a scratch certified mixer.....but it's no different then someone using a hacked copy of Traktor, cause in their mind even if a hacked version didn't exist they still wouldn't pay for Traktor.

Maybe NI isn't getting screwed in this particular scenario, but maybe they are. Even though you have a legit soundcard and scratch pro, maybe they get a percentage of each certified mixer sale....maybe they don't. The companies whose mixers are scratch certified are no doubt getting the shaft w the hack in my mind no matter how you want to justify it

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Again it's the main selling point of buying a scratch certified mixer over a non certified, ease of use. You don't have to plug in your soundcard. It's enough of a hassle that people get the hack to eliminate having to do that. I understand that you may own a Traktor soundcard, and a legit version of scratch pro, and even if there wasn't a hack you wouldn't pay for a scratch certified mixer.....but it's no different then someone using a hacked copy of Traktor, cause in their mind even if a hacked version didn't exist they still wouldn't pay for Traktor.

Maybe NI isn't getting screwed in this particular scenario, but maybe they are. Even though you have a legit soundcard and scratch pro, maybe they get a percentage of each certified mixer sale....maybe they don't. The companies whose mixers are scratch certified are no doubt getting the shaft w the hack in my mind no matter how you want to justify it
    You need a certified mixer OR soundcard, not both, to legitimately make Traktor Scratch Pro work. If someone already has an A10, for example, and a DB2, there is literally nothing else to buy. You don't also need a certified mixer. NI got their money off of the A10. The hack allows someone to use the DB2's audio interface without bringing the A10 and complicating the wiring/routing. Without the A10 being plugged in, you can't normally use the audio interface of the DB2 for timecode, even though you bought it. Traktor software checks for it each time you boot it up.
    Last edited by jdownesbaird; 03-07-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Tech Guru

Again I don't see any harm what so ever.
    There are far more people with non-Traktor USB sound cards than there are DB2s/DB4s in existence. These are the people who will be using the hack.

Saying there are a handful of users who "legitimately" use the hack does not justify the rest using it too.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

There are far more people with non-Traktor USB sound cards than there are DB2s/DB4s in existence. These are the people who will be using the hack.

Saying there are a handful of users who "legitimately" use the hack does not justify the rest using it too.
    You're assuming that these mixers will be compatible with the hack.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

OK so how many of those users have a licensed copy of TSP? I can't imagine its a lot, since having TSP almost always entails owning a Traktor sound card. Which brings me around to what I was saying above, if this hack causes all of those users to purchase/upgrade to TSP, then NI is still reaping a benefit.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    You're assuming that these mixers will be compatible with the hack.
    Any audio interface is compatible with hacks to work for Traktor timecode. I have tested it before myself.

OK so how many of those users have a licensed copy of TSP? I can't imagine its a lot, since having TSP almost always entails owning a Traktor sound card.
    No, it does not. NI sells the Scratch License separately on their website intended for people who own certified mixers.

Tech Guru

You need a certified mixer OR soundcard, not both, to legitimately make Traktor Scratch Pro work. If someone already has an A10, for example, and a DB2, there is literally nothing else to buy. You don't also need a certified mixer. NI got their money off of the A10. The hack allows someone to use the DB2's audio interface without bringing the A10 and complicating the wiring/routing. Without the A10 being plugged in, you can't normally use the audio interface of the DB2 for timecode, even though you bought it. Traktor software checks for it each time you boot it up.
    You aren't getting the point. There is something else to buy....maybe not directly from NI. Companies with scratch certified mixers are getting the shaft in your scenario, cause a main feature of their mixer is negated cause any old mixer w a soundcard can have this feature. You may justify this by saying hey I alrdy like my db2 and have a soundcard so hack or no hack existant, I wouldn't buy a scratch certified mixer anyway, to which I say does it make it right for someone to use a hacked version of Traktor cause in their mind even if there was no hack they wouldn't pay for it anyway?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast