Controversial Traktor Scratch hack featured on DJTT blog - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Which companies have (recently) released scratch certified mixers? Pioneer and NI themselves. 2 HUGE companies and market leaders in their respective fields. It may not be ethical, but they really aren't going to lose out on this. Someone enlighten me if there has been a more recent (non big company) that have released a scratch certified mixer, because I can't think of one.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    No, it does not. NI sells the Scratch License separately on their website intended for people who own certified mixers.
    TSP2 upgrade is an additional $99 on top of the original $99 for TP2. So NI got their money, or will be with each upgrade purchased, which I stated, but you didnt include when you quoted me. I can't imagine there's a large Traktor user base of semi/professional DJs and artists that are using TSP without an approved sound card. And if they already own a certified mixer then I'm really confused at the point you are trying to make.

Again I am still failing to see what the problem that anyone has with this hack. People with unlicensed products don't count. And if this increases sales of TSP how is that not a good thing?

Honestly, I hope that NI just goes ahead and runs with this, and makes the QoL easier for their user base instead of trying to quash this.

EDIT: this is a reply to manchild's post.

Companies are NOT getting the shaft in my scenario. You only need a certified audio interface to LEGITiMATELY use Scratch Pro. If you have a DB2 (or any damn mixer), and you buy the A10, you're all set. NI is happy. That's the point of the A6 and A10: to allow you to use timecode with any mixer you like. The NI interface legitimately unlocks Scratch functionality. Certified mixers have a built in audio interface, so you wouldn't also buy an A6 or A10, and NI likely gets a piece of that action.

Again, my scenario allows the use of the DB2 without my A10 being connected, but I have legally purchased Scratch functionality. Other mixers have nothing to do with this. The hack just saves me the hassle of always bringing the A10 with me if I want a simple, portable setup. At home (and bigger parties/events) I always use the A10 for the extra routing options.
    Last edited by jdownesbaird; 03-07-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Which companies have (recently) released scratch certified mixers? Pioneer and NI themselves. 2 HUGE companies and market leaders in their respective fields. It may not be ethical, but they really aren't going to lose out on this. Someone enlighten me if there has been a more recent (non big company) that have released a scratch certified mixer, because I can't think of one.
    Allen and Heath, Korg, Ecler, Mackie, and Denon have all released Traktor Scratch certified mixers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
    TSP2 upgrade is an additional $99 on top of the original $99 for TP2.
    Wrong. TSP2 is a separate product that is priced identically to TP2. It is not an upgrade.

And if they already own a certified mixer then I'm really confused at the point you are trying to make.
    The TSP2 license is intended for certified mixer owners. Anyone can buy it...
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Wrong. TSP2 is a separate product that is priced identically to TP2. It is not an upgrade.

The TSP2 license is intended for certified mixer owners. Anyone can buy it...
    It's still technically an upgrade since it requires an approved product to activate. I myself purchased the same upgrade it it required a valid serial before activating.

There was no way someone can just but the kit outright and have a working TSP install, without entering another code, unless something has changed recently. if that is the case, then it has changed, and is something NI can easily address.

Tech Guru

It's still technically an upgrade since it requires an approved product to activate. I myself purchased the same upgrade it it required a valid serial before activating.

There was no way someone can just but the kit outright and have a working TSP install, without entering another code, unless something has changed recently. if that is the case, then it has changed, and is something NI can easily address.
    It is not an upgrade. You do not require an approved product to activate. You do not need a valid serial before activating.

Anyone can just buy the kit outright and have a working TSP install.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

I really don't get how this argument is any different than the argument to download copies of music from some torrent site for free.

NI has put a lot of "business effort" into making TSP "compatible" with scratch-certified mixers. They ARE losing money by this hack being out there. There is less incentive for people to buy a scratch-certified mixer, and when demand goes down, the price of certification goes down. Now, instead of people buying an S4 or Z1, they may go Pio, A&H or some other brand that's not certified. They're not going to sell as many sound cards now.

So NI, just like record producers and labels are getting screwed when people do these things. Having said that, this hack has been "out there" for a while now, and NI hasn't done anything to clean it up. Maybe an article on a major DJ website will force their hand a bit...who knows. They just need to include some must-have functionality into an upcoming release that includes the breaking of the hack so that everyone will "have to" upgrade.

I am surprised that DJTT, with as many Traktor videos and NI items for sale in its store, would publish such a thing, but again...that's none of my business.

I bought a 900 in large part for the scratch certification, knowing full well I could have gone another brand such as A & H and used the hack. (or gone the extra sound card route) But, I'm a software developer by trade. I've written my own software and piracy sucks - plain and simple. And this hack is...piracy. NI has business agreements around certification. DJs have choices of what mixers/controllers to buy and whether they are Scatch certified or not.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Allen and Heath, Korg, Ecler, Mackie, and Denon have all released Traktor Scratch certified mixers.
    I said RECENTLY.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I said RECENTLY.
    Your point being?

It is not an upgrade. You do not require an approved product to activate. You do not need a valid serial before activating.

Anyone can just buy the kit outright and have a working TSP install.
    Then it has changed. I bought the upgrade kit and it required me having a valid product before activating.

I'm still not believing this, since there's no reason to just sell TP2 for the same price as TSP2 when the TSP2 kit includes timecode vinyl and CDs.
    Last edited by Paka Ono; 03-07-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast