advice for recording
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default advice for recording

Hi guys I'm wondering which software to use for recording Traktor mixes made with an external mixer.
    I thought of using an old laptop ( pentium m 1,6 ghz, 500 mb ram) for recording mixes through the record out of the external mixer. I thought that maybe someone who`s into production might have some advice on which good freeware (audacity?) to use and which pitfalls to remember (how do I set the correct level etc.?)
    THANKS!

I have never question this myself because I just use Traktorīs recorder. I set recording from my interface input and connect an rca from my mixer rec output to the interface input.
    I am using traktor Scratch 3.4 but pretty sure that TP has the same function. You just to need to enable the recording panel on the top of traktor and there you can set the levels.

Hope it helps

Cheers!

A couple of free programs should fine for this purpose. Audacity for exmple worked well for me in the past, but the last time I used a PC (I'm on mac os now), I used DJdecks for mixing and Audacity for recording on a P4M 2,8 gHz laptop and had to increase latency a little to get flawless recordings.

A lot of people I know use Audio Hijack for recording on a mac with good results. I'm sure there's a similar program available for windows.

I personally got myself an external sd-card wav recorder for a handful of euros. After all one has to be paranoid about computers, and I am not that much of an Apple Fanboy to think that macs never ever have problems, so better safe than sorry.

Oh, and about tips and pitfalls: Internal notebook soundcards tend to be on the weak side when used as recording input, so if you can get a cheap and acceptable external card or have one somewhere, use that one.

Levelling can be quite tricky. My Wintel Laptops sound card had a tendency to clip, even when it was set to lowest possible input gain. I couldn't really hear distortion, but because the level was always extremely high, the recording sounded like it was squeezed through a limiter that was pumped up to the max. (and no, I didn't use a mic input or used the software preamplification).
    What I usually do is do a quick mix, play two tracks at the same time, level the recording input on the computer to something around -3 dB peak and record. If you go too low, you lose audio quality. If you go to high, the recording will clip, so keep a good eye on the output levels on your external mixer.

What do you plan to do with your recordings? If you only want to listen to them yourself to control your mixing or pass them to your buddies, I wouldn't give much thought about the actual quality of the recording. Just route the mixer output to some computers input and press record in whatever software you have around. Cause in terms of actual recording quality, it's not the software that makes the difference, it's the soundcard you're using. If you plan to use them as Demos or spread them in the web to promote yourself, I would personally go for something more professional than mixer-out to laptop-in, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    I have never question this myself because I just use Traktorīs recorder. I set recording from my interface input and connect an rca from my mixer rec output to the interface input.
    I am using traktor Scratch 3.4 but pretty sure that TP has the same function. You just to need to enable the recording panel on the top of traktor and there you can set the levels.

Hope it helps

Cheers!
    I'm doing the same thing with TSP, and no problem at all mixing externally and recording at the same time.
    REC OUT of the mixer to an INPUT of the Audio8 and settings the prefs to record from this input... works like a charm for me

But why did you thought about another laptop to rec ? You don't want to play and rec with the same laptop ?

Tech Mentor

hi guys!
    thanks for the advice.
    I thought about using audacity on a second laptop because I use EKS controllers which have a soundcard but no recording input.
    For sure it would be more comfortable to use the record in on the onboard soundcard but I think that Traktor only supports one soundcard at a time, at least if you don't do a workaround with Asio4all or something like it and I`de rather prefer to stick with the EKS native driver for paranoia reasons.

The recording quality doesn't need to be top notch. I`m not making promos I don`t intend to in the near future, so a bit of compression might be acceptable, for sending a new mix to a couple of friends and put it up for scrutiny at the forum here. So the point is rather "idiot proofness"

PS: @Alien - is your EP out already?

Quote Originally Posted by derjay View Post
    hi guys!
    thanks for the advice.
    I thought about using audacity on a second laptop because I use EKS controllers which have a soundcard but no recording input.
    OK.
    So, yes, I think audacity will feet your needs... just like you said, your REC output from mixer to the input of your 2nd laptop...

Tech Mentor

hey guys, I'm bumping this up 'cause finally I started to record the odd mixtape for friends etc.
    however, I am having some difficulties to set the record levels.
    I routed the record out of the Ecler mixer to the record In of an Echo Audiofire.
    The problem I am facing now is that the recording has a very very low level, ie. Audacity's level meter rarely hits more than -24 db.

I converted the result to mp3 to test it in Winamp and the winamp Eq barely showed any response to the audio. So in the end, I had to crank up the volume of pre-amp (virtual) and amp to listen to the file and overall the sound was kind of flat too. (I don't know whether that is related to the gain problem or not)

In the Echo Console I set the levels up to maximum but I couldn't see any result on Audacity's level meter. I played around with Audacity's record level too but somehow that didn't change anything either, so I am quite confused.
    Do you have any idea on how to find the bug (if it is one) and is there any rule of thumb as to which level a recording should reach?

Cheers!!!
    Last edited by derjay; 11-11-2009 at 06:53 AM.

When recording out of my mixerīs rec output I also feel the level is a bit low. I try to increase the Traktorīs output level a bit but without clipping. If I get levels to high I can listen a small humming on the background because of my analogue mixer (no the best one). The best solution I have found for my mixes now is that I record them in the low level and then import them to Ableton or another software where I can add a bit of compression and limiting. It gives the mix a more warm sound and I increase the levels without damaging the quality.
    You can check the mix I got on my soundcloud I used the method described above and I am really glad with the warm sound it has. If you listen pay attention to the first second when no music is playing you will be able to hear the humming, it is the only thing I need to solve. I am pretty sure it is my home mixer....

Cheers!

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the advice, never thought about going the post production route.

I've always been cautious about rising Traktor internal level a lot because the clipping starts quite early.
    However, I still don't entirely get what's happening, because on my mixer the Rec out is very loud (at least when I just connect it to the amp) and the difference between level playing live and the level that the recorded files have is VERY noticeable.

ps:
    i liked the last mix you put up a couple of weeks ago very much, so I'll be very happy to listen to new stuff....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast