Choosing Best Value PA Speakers

Default Choosing Best Value PA Speakers

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy some PA speakers that I can use for gigs/parties. Most of the parties will be about 100 people (or less) and in open areas such as the outdoors or lofty rooms. Right now I'm deciding between the Behringer B212D and the Behringer B215D. If I buy a pair, the B212D's would cost around $500 and the B215D's would cost around $640. Because the music will really need to fill up the majority of the room, I'm leaning towards the B215D's. But I don't know if the B215D's would be overkill for my situation; I'd rather go for the B212D's if I'm paying for more than I would use.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is the 12" woofer and the 15" woofer. I do play a lot of bass heavy music, but I don't need earth-shaking bass, nor am I expecting that out of a $600 budget.

It would be very helpful if anyone has used these speakers and can offer their opinion. Also, I'm open to other suggestions besides the Behringer Eurolive line so feel free to suggest any other speaker setups. As long as the pricing is around $600 for a pair, it would be worth considering. I'm looking to add a subwoofer later on as well, but it doesn't currently fit into my budget.

Thanks for your feedback! I greatly appreciate any pointers.

Tech Guru

15" for a no-sub setup, smaller if you're going to add a sub.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB