CDJ 2000 Nexus Jog Noise
    Tech Wizard

Default CDJ 2000 Nexus Jog Noise

Hi All

One of my CDJ 2000 Nexus has a jog wheel noise that almost sounds like the jog wheel barings have no oil so to speak (this is the best way I can describe the sound). If I rotate the wheel it is OK on part of the rotation but then feels like it becomes "stuck" or a little harder to turn. I turned the jog tension to light and it makes no difference, or when set to anywhere in between light and heavy (tension seems to work normally).

Does anyone know what is causing this as it only recently developed.

I bought these used in early Feb, what is the normal Pioneer warranty and is it transferable (they were a year old when I bought them). If I have to repair and pay, any ball park figures on cost? Or is this a DIY repair.

Had a search in the forum and online but did not find much (or my search abilities are poor )

Thanks

If the nexus are the same as the old ones, then there are no bearings....

It's just a ring with white platic wheels (I think 5 or 6 in total) that roll on a plastic track.
    These are lubbed with some vaseline, if the lube is gone then they can sound itchy/scratchy

It's not hard to DIY, but it's an expensive piece and still have warranty...just send them in and suck up the $50-75 for the pair (almost certain they will charge a maintenance fee..)
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the reply. I guess baring was a strong word but I couldn't think of any other words. Plastic rollers sounds lot better.

I had a more detailed look in the daylight and it looks like something was stuck under the jog wheel. I was able to remove it so it seems ok but might need to take it in.

^^^ As Johnny says above. Also, if it is only happening in one place it could be that one of the plastic wheels has actually come off its mounting and is wedged somewhere around the plastic ring. As Johnny rightly pointed out it wouldn't be too hard to DIY but unless you have some familiarity with taking apart & re-assembling small electrical/computer items I would probably pay someone to do the job. Also (as I'm sure you probably know) any warranty you may have will be voided should you open up the unit yourself.

If there is no warranty left on the unit then I'd look into taking it to an independent for the fix rather than send it direct to Pioneer- yes the part will still have to come from Pioneer but the labour should be cheaper. I had a fairly minor issue with one of my CDJ900s that Pioneer refused to sort under warranty (a tale for another day) so rather than pay the £95 Pioneer quoted me to do the fix I had it sent (via my retailer) to an independent who charged £35 for the same fix.

I never found out the name as I only spoke to them on the phone once and my retailer arranged collection/delivery, but I was told it was a couple of ex-Pioneer staff. The turnaround time was also a fraction of what Pioneer took to do a couple of warranty repairs.

If you want an explanation of the mechanism there is a good video here showing the platter/ring/wheel mechanism on the CDJ900
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the video link, very useful info there. All seems well, and its been working great now.