(sort of) OT: Internet Radio Broadcasting Bandwidth

Default (sort of) OT: Internet Radio Broadcasting Bandwidth

i was wondering if any of you guys out there could clarify this for me:

most radio streams i've come across (sub.fm, and the like), offer a couple stream sizes, but are all painfully small (96k being the highest i've seen). is this the bitrate as we think of it? also, does this number get multiplied by how many people are connected, or is it a single send, and the people trying to connect must be able to transfer 96k (example) as well? to clarify, if broadcasting at 96k and 2 users are connected, does the server have to broadcast 192k? this is if i'm even thinking of this numbers meaning correctly. any clarification on this is greatly appreciated.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

so i answered my own question recently, posting it here in case anyone else is wondering:

so i confused myself: i was thinking for some reason that 320kbps meant bytes per second, instead of bits (as in bitrate). there are 8 bits in 1 byte, so 320kiloBITS per second is significantly smaller than 320kiloBYTES per second.

so if you're streaming 320kbps, you're actually transferring only 40 kilobytes per second, pretty awesome since that's not a lot of bandwidth for a very high quality signal.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Job well done
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution