New To DJing and looking for some advice

Default New To DJing and looking for some advice

Hi

I have recently began getting a basic setup together after messing around doing some computer only mixing etc.

I have a windows laptop and I have bought a Numark Mixtrack Pro 2. I have Serato and Virtual DJ.

I also play keyboard quite well and I am wanting to integrate the two I have into performances. I have the Yamaha dJX 1 and 2.

I am only planning also to get an Akai mpk mini at some stage and some half decent monitors. I only intend this being a hobby at home when I'm back on a weekend from working away.

Three questions I have and hope someone can help me with;

1. How can I integrate an iPad mini into my Dj set. I am hoping to use apps such as The Novation Launchpad app and the kaossilator. I have heard something about "Midi Interfaces" but I am confused as to how these work and the uses of them.

2. How can I connect the laptop, iPad and two keyboards (and prospectively) a midi controller into one set of speakers. I currently just have my controller going through RCA cables into an old jvc hi-fi.

3. Finally, what is the best way to record a performance with all the above in use.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading

Tech Mentor

Well your biggest problem will be that you only have two hands! ;-)

1. The iPad has quite a few options how to integrate. You can use it as a MIDI controller via a MIDI interface or sometimes WiFi (depending on the app you use), but that means you will need something to get controlled - like Serato or Virtual DJ. Anyways what you are up to sounds more like a job for Ableton Live. The problem is: That is a beast of a software in both: price and features. You could also use your iPad as a source of music. This is simple: Just open the app (any app that produces noises) and there you have it.

2. If you want to integrate that to your setup you will need a mixer. You could possibly try to use the mic input on your Numark Mixtrack, but I'd suggest to get a real mixer if you want to proceed. There are tons of mixers so if you really want one do some research first on what you need. Same goes for the keyboards as well I guess. You can use them as MIDI controllers or on their own. Maybe if they have MIDI inputs you can even use your iPad to control the yamahas.

3. As you might already see by reading my not very accurate answers: there are too many possibilities. Think about what you want first. What do you plan to do with those things? Maybe start with what you are currently doing with your setup and than what you are missing. Maybe we can help a bit better than.

Tech Mentor

Another thing to try is getting a midi to usb cable. You won't directly integrate it into Serato or VDJ, but using different software you might overdub the music. Beats using a hardware mixer on top of your other equipment.
    I have no experience with any Apple hardware ever made so I can't comment on that.

Thanks for the replies guys.

A bit more info,

I have attempted to use a midi - USB cable with the keyboards and not had much success. After doing some research
    I have found that they have limited midi compatibility. Probably due to the age of them. They are only really suitable for sampling. I am not very clued up when it comes to midi but it's something to do with not having midi through?. I suppose I'd be happy if I could just have them going through the same audio output as the mixer and be able to record the results. I can manipulate sounds, samples effects and bpm through the keyboard itself. The same thing applies for the iPad. I just want to be able to be creative during a mix and improvise with different things. Instead of an mpk mini I may get something a bit larger and advanced.

The questions I still have are what is a midi/audio interface

How can I link all the audio from above mentioned to one output and in turn record this.

Sorry if I'm not putting things across very well.

Hey man, inbox me here or if you don't have have Facebook private message and I can teach you pretty much most things you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I suggest you take a deep breath, forget all that midi stuff and learn how to use one piece of DJ software properly before you try and emulate Daft Punk.

Honestly, learn to walk before trying to fly to the moon.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I suggest you take a deep breath, forget all that midi stuff and learn how to use one piece of DJ software properly before you try and emulate Daft Punk.

Honestly, learn to walk before trying to fly to the moon.

+1