I Want to Learn to Mix on CDJ's
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default I Want to Learn to Mix on CDJ's

Hey all!!

I am mainly a controllerism DJ, but for versatilities sake I would like to learn to DJ on normal CDJ's.

No sync button, no waveforms, just straight up mixing song A into song B.

What would a good kit be? Mind you it won't be my primary kit so something relatively cheap, but quality. Was looking at a Pioneer 850-K kit but I noticed the Pioneer 350 series too. The 350 seems like a great deal to me, but is there anything similar but cheaper?

Thanks in advance!
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

I'd recommend the Stanton CMP800 if you can get them. Great price and can be play USB, CD or be mapped to Traktor.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Mentor

I'd recommend you the CDJ-350 kit as well, or if you don't mind burning a few CD's you can always look into some used CDJ-800's or 1000's; way cheaper! As for a mixer. You could think of a DJM-250 or DJM-600 for a cheap Pioneer mixer or a DJM-700 if you want something newer and more versatile. Not sure what your budget allows, however, the resale value of Pioneers is really good so.

Tech Guru

You could get a pair of SC2000s and not have to bother with a mixer, or reorganising your music onto CDs or USB.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You could get a pair of SC2000s and not have to bother with a mixer, or reorganising your music onto CDs or USB.
    This.

No need to buy CDJs to learn how to mix with them.

Just turn off sync and all visual aids in traktor and learn how to beatmatch by ear.

All basic controls of a CDJ can also be found on most controllers.

What you need is basically this: play, cue, jog wheel and pitch fader.

If you want bigger pitch faders and jog wheels the SC2000 are a good choice.

Tech Guru

The CDJ-200s are very good for learning, because they are the worst ones, if you can beatmatch with them you can beatmatch with any CDJ. I've learned with them myself an today I have zero fear of playing with anything.

The 350s are good because of the USB port, but to really learn it's good to not use rekordbox because it makes things pretty easier.

If you want to be versatile I would recomend Pioneer stuff because you won't find any other brand on clubs, so it's good to be used to the club standard stuff.

Also it's a good idea to have a good mixer, don't even think about DJM-350 or lower, you need something that at least has effects for single channels (DJM-400 or better).
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Schalenberg

CDJ 350s or 400s.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    CDJ 350s or 400s.
    Agreed with 400s, they have usb ports and don't allow rekordbox. Good for learning and I've found many at clubs.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    I'd recommend the Stanton CMP800 if you can get them. Great price and can be play USB, CD or be mapped to Traktor.
    Just took a look at these, they look pretty nice actually and not a bad price either. I'm sorry I didn't mention it in my OP but I would like to be able to use Rekord Box or CDs so I can get used to both systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    I'd recommend you the CDJ-350 kit as well, or if you don't mind burning a few CD's you can always look into some used CDJ-800's or 1000's; way cheaper! As for a mixer. You could think of a DJM-250 or DJM-600 for a cheap Pioneer mixer or a DJM-700 if you want something newer and more versatile. Not sure what your budget allows, however, the resale value of Pioneers is really good so.
    I was looking at the DJM-250 as well because it has a filter on each channel. I want something fairly simplistic so I can learn with just bare bones so if I come across a CDJ-2000NXS I can use it and appreciate all it has to offer, but also if I come across as CDJ-1000 I can still use it too. I'm also a whore for buying new, not used. It's a bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, looks like you need a mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    This.

No need to buy CDJs to learn how to mix with them.

Just turn off sync and all visual aids in traktor and learn how to beatmatch by ear.

All basic controls of a CDJ can also be found on most controllers.

What you need is basically this: play, cue, jog wheel and pitch fader.

If you want bigger pitch faders and jog wheels the SC2000 are a good choice.
    I have no pitch faders or platters on my current kit is the problem though, and if I go for the CDJ-350//DJM-350/250 I can use them as Traktor controllers or as CDJ's with Rekord Box. I see where you are coming from though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    The CDJ-200s are very good for learning, because they are the worst ones, if you can beatmatch with them you can beatmatch with any CDJ. I've learned with them myself an today I have zero fear of playing with anything.

The 350s are good because of the USB port, but to really learn it's good to not use rekordbox because it makes things pretty easier.

If you want to be versatile I would recomend Pioneer stuff because you won't find any other brand on clubs, so it's good to be used to the club standard stuff.

Also it's a good idea to have a good mixer, don't even think about DJM-350 or lower, you need something that at least has effects for single channels (DJM-400 or better).
    Why do you suggest NOT using Rekord Box? I really like the way it seems to work! I'd either go DJM-350 or 250 it seems like, I love the 350 for all its cool features with USB recording and all that, but I love the 250 for the XLR outs and a filter on each channel.

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    CDJ 350s or 400s.
    Can't argue that!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    Agreed with 400s, they have usb ports and don't allow rekordbox. Good for learning and I've found many at clubs.
    Another reply above said learn without Rekord Box, why is that? I plan on using these with Rekord Box drives, non-Rekord Box drives (if that's a thing, I think it is) and with actual burned CD's.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, looks like you need a mixer.
    They are MIDI controllers with all the controls of a CDJ.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast