NI Z2 Not Communicating

Default NI Z2 Not Communicating

Need a hand here. Friend of mine just bought a Z2 and a new copy of Traktor Scratch Pro and is having issues with setup. I can't figure out whats going on for the life of me. Here's his post from Reddit. Basically the hardware is still registered to someone else and it won't communicate. Is this an NI block? Thanks for the input.

"Whats up guys, here's what I've got and hopefully one of you fine gents can help out.

Traded some old gear for a Z2 Mixer [did not have Scratch Pro software]

Purchased Scratch Pro 2 time code kit/software.

Installed, updated drivers etc etc on my computer [mac]

Z2 is recognized in hardware/controller set up and update tool.

New Software is registered on NI to me. Z2 mixer is still registered to other guy.

When I open up TSP2 and power on the Z2, under the set up menu it's showing the output as the Z2, but I get no reaction from my time code vinyls or any kind of communication between the mixer and the software. I do have the Traktor button pressed beside both phono/line switches.

I'm new to Traktor, but am *usually pretty proficient in most software and set up. I currently have a full ableton rig, and serato rig in the studio, just wanting to give Traktor a shot too."

Tech Guru

NI don't lock hardware, and the Z2 should be usable on any copy of TSP2.

Have you tested the Z2 on another computer? It should work on regular TP2 also.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Hmm. Right now hes not seeing any kind of output from the Z2 (including midi from cue buttons ect).

Just talked with him and he bought the Scratch upgrade kit without buying Traktor Pro 2 (non scratch). Any issues there?

Tech Guru

The Z2 should function on any up to date version of Traktor 2, as long as the drivers and Controller Editor are installed properly.

The Scratch Kit is not an upgrade any more and provides the full version of Scratch without the need for a pre-existing product.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Exact answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Run the setup wizard again

Finally got this sorted out. Turns out the version of Service Center he downloaded was old even after it auto updated. The newest version of Traktor it offered was 2.5.x which didn't have Z2 support. Ended up going to the NI website and downloading TSP 2.6.8 and then everything was good.

Thanks for the help everyone.