Need help choosing between these two MacBooks!

Default Need help choosing between these two MacBooks!

1) $1100 from Apple: New 13" MBP non retina (2012 model), 2.5ghz i5 500gb SATA 4gb RAM
    2) $1000 used (like new supposedly): 11" MacBook Air (latest model), 1.7ghz i7 128gb SSD 8gb RAM

Quick facts about my needs: not really a heavy user, will b main computer for everything, resolution argument is moot to me, will b running Traktor, I do have plans to get into production (beginner, leaning towards Reason), I have an external 1Tb that I carry with me all the time, hmmm I value portability, checked out both and enjoyed both equally.

All in all, leaning towards the MBA. I know the MBP can be upgraded (RAM and SSD) down the line. But I just can't seem to get away from the long lasting battery of the Haswell along with the value/deal I'm getting on the MBA. I think the way the MBA is specc'd, it's pretty future proof.

I've read all the threads on here talking about MBP vs MBA. Budget is $1100 or less. I've gone through various options checking refurbs vs student discount new prices and these are my top two choices. Sound off!

MacBook Air for sure. Smaller, lighter, great battery, you have the external drive so SSD size not overly important ... And although the Air has a physically smaller screen it actually has more space or pixels in total, just not vertically.

Oh yeah, and the Air has a slightly more powerful CPU by about 9% ...
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Spend the extra 100 bux bruv. itll be way worth it.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

MBA. I sell these computers all the time. Your needs suit the Air's value.

I'm with hellnegative, for an extra $100 you get a larger, more durable machine that's backed by Apple. Since CPU power doesn't likely matter with your type of usage, it comes down to whether you want to sacrifice the extra screen space and the guarantee of a warranty for that extra bit of portability I guess.
    reppin those deep underground European vibes out in the northern midwest

Techno, Deep House, Electronica, Ambient.

https://soundcloud.com/slightlydarkerblack

Tech Guru

Why is a "larger" machine a benefit? The old non-Retina MBP is very outdated and overpriced compared to the other models.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Why is a "larger" machine a benefit? The old non-Retina MBP is very outdated and overpriced compared to the other models.
    Hear Hear ! The Air is a much better deal.

You can replace the SSD in the Airs Anyhow (abet pricy right now),
    Its got More Ram
    Its got Better resolution - definitely needed if you are running 4 decks IMHO and reason would benefit too.
    Its More portable
    Its Speed will be pretty much on par with the MBP
    Its Battery is better.
    How often do you use the Lan port or Firewire ?
    How often do you use the CD drive ?

By the time you add an SSD and extra 4gig of ram to the stock "Old" Macbook pro, you would be spending another 150-200 minimum anyhow on whats already an outdated model that has not been updated in a year.

And Assuming the SH unit is still under warranty you could always get Applecare if you want to extend the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnectControl View Post
    I'm with hellnegative, for an extra $100 you get a larger, more durable machine that's backed by Apple. Since CPU power doesn't likely matter with your type of usage, it comes down to whether you want to sacrifice the extra screen space and the guarantee of a warranty for that extra bit of portability I guess.
    Get the serial of the 11" model and make sure it's under 1 year old, get the old owner to call Ape and transfer it to your Apple ID and if so then get Apple Care and it becomes your warranty for 3 years.

As for the "sacrifice extra screen space" by going with the 11" ... How's your maths these days? The 11" actually has MORE PIXELS even though the SCREEN SIZE is SMALLER ... The extra pixels wide (1366 vs 1280) more than makes up for the loss of height (768 vs 800).

Once again the 11" is the better buy hands down.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

I couldn't go back to an 11". The 13" would be for me. Much more flexibility. Awkward too if you have to have a drive hanging off a usb to store your stuff

Wow thanks for the replies guys. So after considerable thought I pulled the trigger on an Apple refurb MBPr i5 8gb RAM 128SSD late 2012 model. $1150 out the door. Totally cool with it not being Haswell, retina is a plus, feel more secure with the fact that it's straight from Apple and not Craigslist along with the guaranteed warranty + new battery and unibody. Satisfied with the purchase.