Noob Question: How To Get "That" Sound
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Noob Question: How To Get "That" Sound

Hi guys,

I am a total newbie (to this side of music at least) and i just don't understand why i can't get similar sounds to those of the artist's that I enjoy mixing.

I have Logic Express, and i have been watching tutorial videos (Mostly based on logic 9) on youtube, but there is not much (That i have found at least) that refers to the 90's style deb & jungle that i am looking to produce.

I have followed a few videos and now i understand how to make the beats in the ultravibe sequencer, but the bass is what i am getting lost with.

When i press a key on my keyboard, nothing seems to sound remotely similar to the sound i am trying to get. I have fiddled with the settings, but to be honest they sound crap.

I am really lost here, and as i am typing this, i know this sounds totally amateur, but i am exactly an amateur. Is there something i need to buy to achieve what i am looking for?
    My train of thought was, if this music was made in the 90's it should be a grease to make music in this style with modern equipment.

I have listed a few tracks below, to give you an idea of what i mean, and what i want to produce.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

What synthesizers do you have on hand bruv? Synapse junglist with automation can be used to get the oldschool bass sounds like that. HMU via PM and I'll help you out.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    What synthesizers do you have on hand bruv? Synapse junglist with automation can be used to get the oldschool bass sounds like that. HMU via PM and I'll help you out.
    Hi, thanks for the help, I have logic Express (Which i have now been told was discontinued some 4 years ago now ) The synths that I have used so far are the ES1 & ES2.

I have also downloaded the TAL noisemaker synth, which is proving to be more useful.

I am really new to this, and i am just getting to grips with it all.

I am thinking about getting Logic Pro X, as i am vaguely familiar with logic as apposed to totally unfamiliar with everything else.

Thanks,

Matt.
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

I like the TAL stuff, pretty cool stuff.

Personally, I'd recommend playing with the demo versions of a few other DAWs before committing your money because you're familiar with Logic. Try to find the workflow that works for your, because down the line you may find Logic to be limiting to your creativity or just downright frustrating.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Lol, OP you have to understand synthesis and how to make a sound bigger.

Production takes years!

I would get something other then logic tho as you cant use any vsts/

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post

Production takes years!

So I am slowly discovering! Lol.

There are some very helpful people on here though, so I feel I am in good hands.

I thought this would be a walk the park but It turns out I had absolutely no clue how this works. I will learn though.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post

Production takes years!

You can use VST's with an AU wrapper in Logic but AU plugins are the native Logic format and most plugins have an AU version. TO the OP, I would however get the full version of Logic if you're going to use it. It's only $200 and isn't a gimped "lite" version like express. Plus the latest version introduced some really cool toys like midi plug ins.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    You can use VST's with an AU wrapper in Logic but AU plugins are the native Logic format and most plugins have an AU version. TO the OP, I would however get the full version of Logic if you're going to use it. It's only $200 and isn't a gimped "lite" version like express. Plus the latest version introduced some really cool toys like midi plug ins.
    Hi nick,

I have now purchased Logic Pro X.

There are quite a few tutorials on youtube, and although i am yet to write a song or composition, i have been learning about the EXS24 Sampler, as in the Genre i will be making, there is a lot of samples from movies and other songs.

I am also looking at massive, the reason being, is that i have been looking on the loop masters website, and they seem to make patches for the massive synth that are specific to the DnB & Jungle genre.

I also need beats (I think) because, although i now know how to program a basic dnb beat in the sequencer, The logic drums sound awful in comparison to the loops from the loop masters website.
    This maybe just me needing to learn more techniques to make them sound better though. I don't really know at this stage.

Matt.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    I have read and digested what you have written. Very good advice!

Thanks.

matt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast