Technics 1200 mk2 high end rattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Technics 1200 mk2 high end rattle

Hi, purchased a Technics 1200 MK2 yesterday, which means I'm finally able to play my vinyls which I bought in preparation for actually getting a table. However I've just discovered a rattle in the high frequencies on the left Side channel. Have already checked the speakers for faults by playing a track off youtube through my iPad, and also tried switching the phono cable around between my pre-amp and the speakers, which made the rattle switch to my other speaker.

Basically I'm just wondering whether it's a fault with the phono cable, the pre-amp (which is new) or the turntable? Would appreciate any ideas or tests any of you would suggest to solve this problem.

Cheers
    Alex

You can also swap the L and R cables b/t the TT and the Preamp....if it moves, that should eliminate the preamp as an offender.

There are things that can go wrong with the turntable itself, but they should be fixable.

Tech Wizard

Just tried swapping the cables over between the preamp and tt, and yeh the rattle moves so the preamps all good. Just tried playing another vinyl and the noise seems to vanish. Both of the vinyls I noticed the rattle on are virtually brand new, so I'm not sure what it could be to be honest. I'll try a few more vinyls and see whether I notice it on those.

There is a cheap resonance cap you can screw Into end of tonearm. It should get rid of your rattle. Kabusa.com sells them
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Wizard

This is pissing me off now. Just taken it to a repair place near me, the bloke found a cable broken close to the base and fixed it. This still has not solved the problem. Wondering whether it's the cartridge now, but I am reluctant to replace it since I bought the whole turntable last Tuesday, especially when it was working well when I got it home that day. Any other suggestions?

Have you tried another cartridge and stylus. that is probably what it is. and the first thing I would think is grounding it. it really does not sound like a RCA problem. if it was a RCA problem you can test the RCA cords by twisting and bending them while you are listening to the turntable.

Tech Mentor

What kind of cartridge do you have and how did you mount it. Take a close look at your needle to make sure it didn't get bent and damaged.

I bet your tonearm is slightly bent. Pics?
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

My tonearm has got a terrible bend in it.

It's shaped like an S!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Have an ortofon scratch s cartridge. Will get pics now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast