A compact, motorized DJ controller purely for scratching? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

get yourself a proper turntable, period. There is no point in trying to mimmick the real deal, it's never gonna be the real thing.

Besides, why don't you get yourself a small Controller like the kontrol S2, s4 or one of the serato DDJ-S series, if you really only wanna scratch you can do just fine on that, there is no need for a moving platter especially if you've just started learning to scratch

also what's the problem with being tied to serato? I have both Traktor and serato and use both for Gigs, depending on my mood.

have some delicious static platter scratching:
    Last edited by despo; 03-26-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    ...another of the problems is that in order to use a tracking/encoder based system that you are limited by regular old midi so accurate scratching isn't possible (at least with Traktor) unless HID or 14bit midi is implemented and enabled I believe ?
    There is NOTHING limiting about "regular old MIDI", and absolutely no reason why accurate scratching can't be possible using it. The problem isn't MIDI, it's the software developers not selecting and supporting a standard for high resolution platter messaging.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    There is NOTHING limiting about "regular old MIDI", and absolutely no reason why accurate scratching can't be possible using it. The problem isn't MIDI, it's the software developers not selecting and supporting a standard for high resolution platter messaging.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater -
    ^Watch this... and then feel sad that it was never pursued.

"Quartz: The true performance comes in when the HID support is added. No one is saying anything, except Numark claims Q1 support for the NS7 in Traktor. That's all I know for right now. One of the biggest reasons I started this project was to show how much power the NS7 standalone can have with Traktor over Itch. All the myths that were floating around about Itch being the only app to be able to provide low latency and tight platter control needed to be smashed. So, to re-iterate what I did, the beta I'm demonstrating (in the FB video) has HID controls available in it. So I'm still using 98% midi for everything, I would say even 99%. However, the 1% - 2% of HID control was used for platter control and a few minor mixer controls, due to direct mapping." I had the platters, everything working but it wasn't available to the public at the time and was based on the old Traktor Pro."

From what I gather, the -only- reason that Traktor support for the NS7 fell through was because whatever piece of code in the non-public beta of TSP that DJ Quartz was using got abandoned. It's really bizarre to me, considering all the hype (screencaps of said hype were in that link to that thread on Skratchlounge) that both Numark and N.I. had going about platter support for the NS7. I can only speculate as to why though... to me it seems apt to compare N.I. with Nintendo, and Numark + Serato with Sony - during ye old "Snes Playstation" debacle. N.I. realized maybe it wouldn't be so much of a good thing for them if support for the NS7's motorized plats -did- happen, and just stopped trying.
    Last edited by UoPoko; 03-26-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12