Ready to upgrade, but need some advice

Default Ready to upgrade, but need some advice

Hi all,
    After reading through the forums and not managing to find an answer that suited my requirements, I thought I would sign up to the forum and post my question.

A bit about me first: I’ve been DJing on and off for 13 years now.
    Started off with CDJs at the age of 15 and had those for 6 years, I started off doing bedroom DJing and a few parties playing music style like UK Garage, R+B, Hip hop and occasionally some jungle.

Then went to University and managed to get a regular slot in the student union… mainly the early slot or the graveyard shift and depending on the slot I had would depend what I would play.
    Early shift would involve floor filler house music.
    Graveyard shift would be some harder electro/house

I gave it all up in the last year of uni as I nearly failed from too many grave yard shifts followed by after parties and subsequently not making it into lessons etc…
    I then left uni, grew up and got a job

Then at 24 years old I managed to get a set of 1210’s from my brother in law, which was great fun, but the expense of buying vinyl and also finding the time to set them up and use them as well as working and having a social life eventually lead me to sell them at 27.

One night I was at a house party and someone turned up with a Numark Mixtrack Pro and I wouldn’t believe how small the set up was and how simple they were to use, needless to say I went out and bought a mixtrack pro 2 and have been using it for the last year or so and have been thoroughly enjoying it.
    The fact you can set it up and pack it away in a minute and the minimal space it takes up is brilliant (I live in a one bed flat in West London, so space is a premium.

Anyway after a year or so of using it with Serato (full version) I am now thinking about upgrading to something a little more higher end.
    My style of DJing is mainly house, electro and techno, but occasionally I will mix hip hop, jungle breaks and drum and bass so need a controller to match. I am not interested in scratching, purely, mixing, fx, loops, cues and what not.
    I mainly do bedroom and house parties but I am ready to re-enter the world of playing gigs (although I think I may be too old to stay up for the graveyard shift - haha

What would you suggest?

The only other piece of equipment I have used is a NI Kontroller S2 which was brilliant, but is it worth moving to NI given that I already have the full license for Serato? (which I assume I can use with a new controller)
    Be interested in hearing your views thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance
    Nads

It isn't as small as a S2, but the DDJ SX is a great Serato controller.

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    It isn't as small as a S2, but the DDJ SX is a great Serato controller.
    I should have mentioned i have a budget of £400

Tech Mentor

I recently upgraded from a Mixtrack Pro 2 to a Pioneer DDJ-SR. Something to think about.
    I wouldn't go with an S2 or S4 as they are not that well built and are quite expensive considering what you get for your money.
    Along the DDJ's you have Reloop which has great controllers for less than NI or Pioneer. I considered the Terminal Mix 8, but found it too big. Those two would be my recommendations.
    You can generally use any controller with any software other than Serato, so if you already own Traktor for instance it doesn't really matter which brand you pick. I use the DDJ-SR with Traktor and Cross for instance.

I'd agree, I would say the DDJ-SR or DDJ-SX would be a great upgrade.

I started out on a mixtrack pro and upgraded to the DDJ-SX and it's amazing. It has all of features that one needs and works well with many programs, not just Serato.

Tech Wizard

Like Scalage said: DDJ-SR might be something to look at. Personally, I'm waiting for something amazing to be released for me to upgrade from my current setup (2 F1's custom midi mapped) as I'm not very interested in a S4 or any other controllers out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    I recently upgraded from a Mixtrack Pro 2 to a Pioneer DDJ-SR. Something to think about.
    I wouldn't go with an S2 or S4 as they are not that well built and are quite expensive considering what you get for your money.
    Along the DDJ's you have Reloop which has great controllers for less than NI or Pioneer. I considered the Terminal Mix 8, but found it too big. Those two would be my recommendations.
    You can generally use any controller with any software other than Serato, so if you already own Traktor for instance it doesn't really matter which brand you pick. I use the DDJ-SR with Traktor and Cross for instance.
    Hi,

thanks for the feedback, I will have a read into those two devices.
    the reloop certainly is alot cheaper than the DDJ-SR, although the cashback that pioneer are offering at the moment helps somewhat.
    Think i need to have a look at both of them in action.

If anyone else fancies throwing in the 2 cents, please feel free

Thanks for the update all

hadn't thought of Reloop tbh, but at the price it's available at it's certainly worth looking into.
    Think i need to get down to my local store and get hands on with some of the kit

Tech Mentor

No one has suggested going the modular route. But this depends how comfortable you would be without jog wheels (initially I hated it, but have adapted).

An NI X1, sound card and a mixer can be a small set up, but it leaves room for flexibility. You can also just take the X1 and sound card to gigs and use the house mixer, meaning less to carry, and less rearranging to do when you arrive.

If in the future you wanted to expand, you can always add Turntables, CDJs and additional controllers without having to change your whole set up.

Just another option.