Bitwig is here!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitwig is here!

Tech Guru

Default Bitwig is here!

I'm guessing the download is only a compressed executable or there are a number of other things to download once you get it installed. I'm still trying to track down the pricing for this. Anyone have anything? Website says jack...
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

It's 300€. Same for $$ I think.

Tech Mentor

If that's true then they're thieves, €300>$300

Tech Mentor

Hm.. you might be right. Following this link (https://www.bitwig.com/en/digital_river.html) into the shop it says about 470$, so it's even more in $. I'm not sure if this is meant to be.
    By the way: A TON of things, especially hardware, is A LOT more expensive here than in the USA.

Tech Guru

$399 usd. $427 cad

So anyone have any input as to why (in their opinion if it is that) this is better than ableton? I keep hearing this.

Tech Mentor

Seems like they simplified the workflow. Ableton used to have a very simple layout but it seems it has gotten bloated over the years and is in dire need of refinement. Things that were intuitive aren't so much anymore. At least that is what it seems. I'm sure Bitwig wilI become the same way in several generations.

I like the idea of a unified modulation system.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Tech Guru

So far in my brief experience with the demo, the interface is very flexible and the program is really responsive. A nice feature is that slicing to drum machine or sampler will slice it with the project tempo (Ableton slice's it according to the clips original BPM). If you're coming from Ableton the workflow is very similar. The one big gripe I have with it is the BPM detection and warping. Even with 4 to the floor house music Bitwig consistently failed to get the right clip tempo. It also doesn't have the extensive warping options that Ableton has. But it's hard to complain considering this is version 1.0 and Ableton is on version 9.1.

I've heard session/arrangement views are more tightly integrated and flexible in bitwig, but otherwise not "a whole lot added" to Live. That was from musicradar's review, or my impression of their review.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast