DJ questions...

Thread: DJ questions...

Default DJ questions...

Hello DJTT Community!

I am planning to become a mobile DJ within the next 2/3 years and need some advice on certain things....please comment your best responses. THANKS!

1. What is a good, not super expensive, high quality, table for a mobile dj?
    (specs : needs to fit: Acer Aspire laptop, iPhone, Soundcard, Traktor Kontrol S2 and power bar for plugs)

2. What are some good quality , cheap speakers for small/medium preformances?
    (specs: Need to be mobile and well built with good quality bass)

3. What is a good way to transport mobile DJ equipment to gigs? is a truck bed ok?

4. What are some good lights i could get for my DJ setup?
    (specs: cheap,Usable)

5. What are some good ways of advertising my DJ buisness-thingy?
    (specs: cheap or free)

6. Gig options for a DJ under 18?
    (specs: no strippers, preferably no drunk idiots who will mess up my setup or barf on me. no offense)

7. Is being a themed DJ ok?
    (what I mean: instead of just wearing normal clothes...perhaps an outfit that is themed ? maybe steampunk?)

8. What is a good way of making your setup look cool?

9. Royalty free music or copyright? which am i allowed to use in my mixes?

10. Prices ?

(prices for all things here that you respond to)

Thanks! have a great day!
    Last edited by padi_04; 03-31-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: format

carriage horse something something...

that may be the most audacious first post ever...

I am sure with some searching you can find most of your answers...

Welcome to the forums...

Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

The answer to a lot of your questions can be found by reading the posts here

#2 Mackie Thumps are pretty good with out breaking the bank.
    #3 this can work, but remember weather can be an issue if you don't have a camper top or the like.
    #4 good and cheap rarely are the same thing. I would suggest starting with some LED pars and building from there.
    #6 house parties, birthdays, school dances
    #7 personally I think it would be a waste of time, as well as making you look less professional. A mobile DJ isn't the "show" at most gigs. They are there to provide the music for the event.

My advice would be to do some more research on your questions. Hint: #9 & #10 have been answered on these forums numerous times.

Welcome to DJTT!

3. What is a good way to transport mobile DJ equipment to gigs? is a truck bed ok?
    i'd say get something closed, like a van (weather etc.)

6. Gig options for a DJ under 18?
    (specs: no strippers, preferably no drunk idiots who will mess up my setup or barf on me. no offense)
    Good luck with that :v

7. Is being a themed DJ ok?
    completely up to you, although steampunk is lame. Something unique never hurts, but a lot of people go waaaay over the top.

8. What is a good way of making your setup look cool?
    flame stickers

9. Royalty free music or copyright? which am i allowed to use in my mixes?
    technically, you're not allowed to used copyrighted music, which you bought, they usually come with a disclaimer that says that public reproduction is prohibited etc.

from beatport's T&C
    Without the prior written consent of Beatport, and except as provided in this Agreement, no Content may be transmitted, distributed, translated, publicly displayed, uploaded, published, recorded, retransmitted, rented, sold, distributed, digitized, marketed, reproduced, altered to make new works, performed, or compiled in any way. Through the use of the Website, you are permitted to listen to Samples (as defined below), and obtain digital downloads of sound recordings and related digital content, including songs, mixes and loops, which is part of the Website's Content. Some of the Content is "Products". The Content is only for your personal, noncommercial use.
    but in general no one gives a shit. As a label owner (not talking about the Majors) it would be stupid to forbid DJs playing your tunes.
    Just make sure you're not a prick and buy your music instead of pirating it.
    Royalty free is pretty self-explanatory.